What's in a Name?

Algis Kemezys

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:27 pm
When people say I'll jus see you later, the I'lljust sounds like my name.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:38 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:48 pm
So I googled a little more and I now suspect that the business of William Lear naming his daughters names like Chanda, etc. is an apochrophal story. Maybe, maybe not. Chanda said to be a motivational speaker.

And googled more, and found that not more daughters, but that a son was named Gallant Cava.

More and more apochryphal sounding.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 09:51 pm
I still can't get over Genesis Aurora! I wonder if I can think of any other surnames it would go with...
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:03 pm
Borealis would be a good fit..
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 18 Aug, 2004 10:08 pm
Good, but it still don't beat out my name. I'll have to think hard about this.
0 Replies

PamO

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:04 am
I used to manage a sporting goods store...employed lots of cashiers...among them I had a "Sparkle," "Taj Mahal," and a "Precious." They were hilarious and fun to work with. I went to high school with a girl named "Honey", one named "Cinnamon," and another named "Heaven." All cool names, I think.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:21 am
One thing about kindergarten teasing, unusual names are, well, not so unusual these days. Sozlet (NOT her real name :-P) has taken classes with kids who have a passel of odd names, and her name isn't so usual either. (In fact, we chose it because it was not usual and were dismayed to find that many other people had the same thought process. :-? At least her middle name is really weird.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 09:42 am
I used to know a woman named Aquanetta -- after the hairspray.

And I know a few very unfortunate first and last name combinations, but I can't put them here. One of them paraphrases as "horny testicles," though.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 10:59 am
My heart aches for impoverished mothers who offer their babies only beautiful names.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 11:10 am
People today think that naming their children abstract names in unique, different, original, and not realizing that the names are not different at all, it's just another form of conformity. Or as my bf would say, so anti conformity that it falls into a different kind of conformity.
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 01:50 pm
When i was in India occasionally some one would ask me my name and I would say something so wierd like...Karsouppa.

Yeah my names Karsouppa... they would catch on regardless how serious i acted and the next day across the town square I hear...Karsouppa,hee hee hee come have some Chi.
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:01 pm
Having an unusual first name isn't bad. It's when you have an unusual first name followed by a last name that makes your whole name ridiculous. Like this girl I knew in HS. Her first name was Summer. Not so bad, except her last name was Poole. Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

Algis Kemezys

Reply Thu 19 Aug, 2004 02:09 pm
Thats like saying hi my names Dig... Dig Inne
0 Replies

Polarbear

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:34 pm
I went to school with a Chris. P. Balls.
No Joke.
0 Replies

doglover

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 09:41 pm
I like first names that are traditionally thought of as last names like:

Taylor
Shepherd
Jackson
Madison
Stone

I think first names like that sound really cool. I named my son Bradley for that reason.

I don't like trendy names like Crystal...Ashley...Britney.

And any girl whose first name can also be found on a spice rack...Ginger, Pepper, Cinammon... is often times a pole dancer.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 25 Aug, 2004 10:04 pm
I like the name Jackson, so cute. And as I was driving around yesterday, I realized I like the name Jamaica, sounds cute to me!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 12:45 am
A huge proportion of people need to deal with their name somehow sometime. What is just fine now is too weird twenty years later, and perhaps cool in another ten, dreck sometime later, and marvelous after that. Stick around, watch the fun.

We aren't our names, and can change them, though I suggest doing that carefully. Y'needn't listen, though.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:48 am
doglover, Madison is currently way more trendy than Crystal/ Ashley/ Britney. Jackson and Taylor, too. Haven't seen many Shepherds or Stones, tho.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 26 Aug, 2004 07:52 am
I thought that Moon Unit was a pretty weird name to impose on a child.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What's in a Name?
  3. » Page 2
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 04:29:09