How to understand this sentence?

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 02:04 am
"In these days, when new words are coined on the least provocation, whether the need for them exists or not, and when the loosest of conversational expressions are stamped with the approval of print."
In this sentence, how to understand 'new words are coined on the least provocation'? I know every word's meaning, but what is 'on the least provocation'?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 436 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 02:09 am
@TCCGavin0514,
We don't need much excuse to make up new words.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 02:28 am
It appears to me that this was not written by a native speaker of English. It constitutes one long--tediously long--introductory, dependent clause, which is not succeeded by an independent clause. I'll give you an example which may help you to understand.

In this age of jet-powered passenger airliners.

In this age . . . what? This is a dependent, introductory clause which doesn't introduce an idea, an expression which completes it.

In this age of jet-powered passenger airliners, the arrival of a large, square-rigged sailing ship causes a great deal of excitement.

"The arrival of a large, square-rigged sailing ship causes a great deal of excitement." This is an independent clause which completes the sentence. It is called an independent clause because it can stand alone. It is a coherent expression of an idea, whether or not the dependent clause ("In this age of jet-powered passenger airliners") is attached to it. The dependent clause does not coherently express an idea.

I'll tackle that sad attempt at English in another post.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 02:42 am
@TCCGavin0514,
As Roger has pointed out, the author is saying that we (English-speakers) don't need much reason to create new words or expressions.

The problem is that the attempted sentence is a very long introductory clause, a dependent clause, which cannot logically stand on its own. It doesn't mean anything. "In these days . . . blah, blah, blah . . . and when . . . blah, blah, blah . . ."--what? An idea has been introduced, but not expressed. We are conversationally left waiting for the other shoe to drop.

Provocation is a really bad choice of a word. To provoke means to annoy or anger someone, usually deliberately. So you get angry, and get your revenge by coining a new word? I don't think so. It's a very poor choice of words. As for "the approval of print," i will observe that journalists are the bottom-feeders of the literary world. They'll print anything if they think it will sell. If that aborted attempt to write a sentence actually was written by a native-speaker of English, it most certainly would have been written by a journalist.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Mar, 2016 04:04 am
@TCCGavin0514,
Im a native speaker and Id say this one way
"We coin new words all the time and the only reason I can see why we do, is because WE CAN."

Its not as brief as Id like it but its a start to a statement that is less bulky than the one you posted.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to understand this sentence?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 07:26:27