Airshow fans - can you answer this, please?

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 06:45 pm
We went to the airshow today - mostly just to see the Blue Angles.

I've been to a few shows in the past and it seems that the Blue Angels always ended their show with the "missing man formation" as a tribute to their fellow, fallen soldiers. I thought it was a tradition. I always thought it was an important part of the show and it always left me a little blurry.

They didn't do it today, as a finale or anything else.

To me, it just felt..... wrong... and kind of sad not to remember.

Maybe I'm wrong and I just imagined this. But I would really like to know if anyone remembers it the way I do, and what they think of leaving the "missing man formation" out of the show.

Thank you.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 486 • Replies: 5
No top replies

georgeob1

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:32 pm
I don't think this event is a atandard part of their show. The MM flyby is easy to do and requires no rehersal or practice. It is something they do when the occasion calls for it, but never has been a standard part of the Angel's routine.

How was the rest of the show?
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:37 pm
The rest of the show was great! I love to watch the Blue Angels. This is the first time I've seen "Fat Albert" so that was pretty cool.

Personally, I think the missing man formation is always approprite. I realize that it is not as fancy as their other formations and stunts but it makes us reflect, and that reflection is appropriate in any occasion.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 07:38 pm
For those who don't know, here is a link to a photo of the "missing man" : http://www.wfix.net/312/Blues/pages/11_missing_man_formation.htm
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 08:39 pm
Perhaps they were avoiding any hint of political sentiment?

This year the pre-election time is very divisive.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 14 Aug, 2004 09:35 pm
I was thinking along the same lines, Noddy. It was just like all the nonsense about not showing the coffins coming home from Iraq and Afghanistan.

I'm not an overly sentementel type, nor overly patriotic, but it still felt very strange to me.

My brother is in the Army; has been for nearly 30 years. Over that time there have been numerous occasions that I've worried for his saftey. I'm so glad and so lucky that he is safe and whole.

To omit rememberance of our dead soldiers, especially right now, is just very depressing to me.

Maybe we should just cancel Memorial Day from now on, too.

<sigh>
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Airshow fans - can you answer this, please?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 03:04:11