I have chosen an essay that requires me to identify three main differences
between Existentialism and Postmodernism but I am really struggling! I have
read up on both, and on Sartre, Heidegger and Derrida, but am finding it
very difficult to find three main differences. I have loads of notes but
can seem to make much fit together! Someone please help! Also, please reply
in layman's terms as I'm just a first year undergrad in Theology and
Philosophy is module I often find hard (am still enjoying it though. Also I
posted this question on a Theology group on fb and the responses I got
simply didn't make much sense to me, so simple language appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Mike
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 991 • Replies: 5
No top replies

dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:50 pm
@mcadge,
Mcadge, IRRATIONAL MAN, A Study in Existential Philosophy by Wm Barrett, now on my 3d reading and I still don't understand what it's all about, much less the difference

I looked up "postmodernism,"

http://onelook.com/?w=postmodernism&ls=a&loc=home_ac_postmodernism

but then had to look up "modernism"

http://onelook.com/?w=modernism&ls=a

Hope to get back to you
dalehileman

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 12:56 pm
@dalehileman,
So here I am. One immediate diff: Post is part of Ex
Isn't it

Quote:
so simple language appreciated
Yes yes
0 Replies

Fil Albuquerque

Reply Sat 13 Feb, 2016 01:12 pm
@mcadge,
1 - Existentialists are umbilical while post modernists forgot about the umbilical cord at all.

2 - The first guys celebrate the failure of man while the second ones blame it on nature.

3 - Existentialists want to "get out" n be freed from the cuffs of being inside a body while post modernists don't know where they are if anywhere.

Bonus reply:

4 - Both groups are insane, but existentialists think insane its cool while post modernists think insanity is PI's fault...
fresco

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 01:41 am
@mcadge,
Having read around this subject for the last few years, I would sum up the main differences as revolving around the status of 'the observer'.
For Sartre the observer looks outwards and contemplates 'an external world' in all its often trivial detail of arbitrary value.
For Heidegger, the observer (Dasein/sense of 'self') is often absent, and 'reality' is about a seamless 'automatic coping'. It is only when 'self' consciously agrees to choose its 'path' that 'authentic living' results.
For Derrida, the status of the observer is nebulous and context specific. The 'self' which has just written this reply will no longer be that same self tomorrow, and nor will the 'meaning' of this text be the same to the author, or tomorrow's reader.

Obviously, given the iconoclasm inherent in these positions which all embody the issue of semantic shifting, any attempt at a definitive 'answer' to you would itself be problematic ! Wink
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 14 Feb, 2016 03:29 pm
@Fil Albuquerque,
Quote:
Both groups are insane
Fil, as an apodictical existential pantheist I'd take issue with that observation

....except that I'm not entirely sure quite yet what it is; and indeed I've asked myself repeatedly if I might be nuts
0 Replies