DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:16 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Not a single human (7.4 billion) being has (Less US pop - 250 mill literate/sobre, etc) ever read/cared about the contents therein.
Not unless you take that bit about "We hold these truths to be self evident..." seriously.

I'm sure there are at least a few who do.
mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:21 am
@Setanta,
As ever - You are correct, Setanta.
I call americans 'yanks' - Everyone does - You guys call us 'brits' Australians are 'aussies', etc.
Is the usageryness of 'yanks' inappropriate?
Not meant to be - Do you have a substitute for it?
Us Brits don't see non-expletive historical terms as insults, btw (You ever researched Uk sociology?)
I'm not insultable, either - I'll let you know if you hit the right spot though - Your missus yearns for that too... According to a (many) certain thread.
Put your tech down, once in a while, allow her some pleasure.
mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:24 am
@Leadfoot,
Lost me there LF.
Trust me - Nobody beyond the 'Truman Show' ever read these documents, including me.
Are they of interest, or not?
Cheers.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:44 am
@mark noble,
You are British?

Oh dear god.....
mark noble

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:48 am
@Lordyaswas,
You, continuously direct your posts to an invisible (ever-applauding) fictional audience.
Why entertain the thread?
Nvm - blocked forever.
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 10:53 am
@mark noble,
Problem is, you'll have them all thinking that all Brits are pompous, eccentric Beatle lovers.

Oh, wait a minute......
0 Replies

Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:09 am
@mark noble,
Quote:
Lost me there LF.
Trust me - Nobody beyond the 'Truman Show' ever read these documents, including me.
You should do it some time. Paragraph 2, Declaration of Independence :

"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among them are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness ..."

Not many read it and even fewer take it seriously.

BTW, a lot of those documents was based on your own Magna Carta. You Brits ever read that?
Lordyaswas

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:32 am
@Leadfoot,
I hope you are not including me in your 'Brits', as I didn't start this silly thread.

I have enough trouble in understanding the small print on my Cable TV contract.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:32 am
@Leadfoot,
Quote:
"We hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all Men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among them are Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness ..."

I am an American, and I have read the Declaration of Independence. I don't believe this quote at all (and neither did the people who signed the document).

This document was a letter to a King who believed that his power came from God. This statement was simply saying that people no longer accepted the King's divine authority.

The important document that we all live under is the Constitution. There is no mention of Creators or inalienable rights in that document.
Leadfoot

Reply Fri 5 Feb, 2016 11:49 am
@maxdancona,
Quote:
I don't believe this quote at all (and neither did the people who signed the document).
Back when judge Bork got "Borked", I thought he'd gotten a raw deal from the democrats that did it. So I read Bork's book 'Slouching Toward Gomorrah'. Turns out he agrees with you. He doesn't think we have any inherent human rights either. The concerns of the Dems. were fully justified.

I'm so glad that sorry son of bitch didn't get on the Supreme Court.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:18 am
@Leadfoot,
I'm not british - Just born here.
I like that paragraph, less the 'creator' aspect though.
Very wise.
Cheers.
0 Replies

mark noble

Reply Sat 6 Feb, 2016 08:20 am
@maxdancona,
Much like Henry8 said 'fk the papacy' when his divorce was denied.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 08:00:09