MATH HOMEWORK HELP!! A function...

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 09:05 pm
Here it is..
"A plastics manufacturer wants to produce a line of cube-shaped food storage containers. Because they will be selling these containers in the international market, they would like to use millimeters for the unit of volume. WRITE A FUNCTION THAT WOULD GIVE THE DIMENSIONS FOR ANY CAPACITY CONTAINER. Explain how you developed your function and discuss its domain and range. Create a table of at least THREE VALUES, plot those values, and graph the function."

I can not remember FOR THE LIFE OF ME what a function is. PLEASE HELP ME!! I need three different values, that's what confuses me.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 184 • Replies: 3
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 09:08 pm
what class and level? An Algebra 1 function is different than a calculus 2 function is different then a differential equations function is different than a physics function.
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 09:14 pm
@CrispyChips,
A function is a mathematical rule that is used to calculate an output value based on a set of inputs (i.e. values).

For example, if you how fast your car is travelling (i.e. the rate) and you know how long you are driving for (i.e. the time) then we can calculate the distance your car has traveled.

We can set this up as a function. The way this is normally written is this.

f(r, t) = r * t

In this case -- f is the name of the function (just 'f' for function)
-- (r, t) says that the inputs to the function are called 'r' and 't' (for rate and time)
-- and on the right side of the '=' is the rule for how to use the inputs to create the answer (in this case you just multiply them together).

So the first step is for you to figure out what the output value will be... and what the inputs will be.

Are you with me?
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 09:34 pm
@CrispyChips,
You are making cubes so all the sides are equal. If you are given a volume V, the side length would be y. V = y^3, so

y = cube root V

For three examples:

if the capacity is 1 mm3, the side length would be 1mm
if the capacity is 8mm3, the side length would be 2mm
if the capacity is 27mm3, the side length would be 3mm
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » MATH HOMEWORK HELP!! A function...
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 10/13/2024 at 08:44:24