Quinceanera without Hispanic background?

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:02 pm
I am 14 and my mom has just brought up having a Quinceanera for my 15th birthday. We're both excited by the idea and are willing to put in the work but there's only one problem... I'm white to my core. However I do have friends that are throwing one and I'm afraid that if I do, they'll be offended. Can I throw a Quinceanera without a Latina background? I don't want to offend someone who really includes this in their culture.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 2,134 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:08 pm
@luvvergurl1372,
Personally, I can't imagine it being a problem. Do invite your Latina friends, though.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:20 pm
@luvvergurl1372,
Do you generally follow Hispanic traditions in your family? are you part of a Hispanic community?
0 Replies

maxdancona

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 08:43 pm
@luvvergurl1372,
I don't see any problem with you having a QuinceaƱera. It wouldn't hurt to let your friends know your wishes and see what they say. If someone wanted to celebrate part of my culture, I don't know... maybe Square Dancing... I would not only be happy about that, I would want to be be a part of it.

The modern QuinceaƱera is already a mixture of cultures. Many of the traditions are from European countries, including England and France and Spain, where young ladies coming of age were given debutante balls. Mexico has added it's own special meaning to this tradition. If you wanted to have a debutante ball, I am sure you could find something in your own heritage that would be very similar to a Quince.

My daughter is Mexican-American (I am White and her mother is Mexican). She takes things from both cultures, and she will have her Quince. We are already talking about it, and she is planning it with her own unique style that will take from all sides of her heritage and her personality.

I would say go for it.

0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 08:35 am
@luvvergurl1372,
By celebrating Quince, you're not disrespecting or making fun of the celebration ... nor are you pretending to be Spanish. Enjoy yourself and turning 15 and celebrate diversity.

One thing to note is to keep the cost down. these things in USA, due to the greater income levels, has gotten to be out-of-hand and very expensive, like more than $10K. Not good!
0 Replies