Ice ages

Masauk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:04 pm
I have a question. I am a girl who wants to know more about ice ages. So myquestion is; does anyone knows someone who would help me or tell me more about it? Please because It's really interesting topics for me ,

Well i am not sure if this is the right forum but it's worth to try.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 9 • Views: 1,242 • Replies: 20
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:07 pm
@Masauk,
Have you tried doing a query using search engine? Try Google and try Wikipedia:

I'll give you a jump start and post the links:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ice_age
http://earthguide.ucsd.edu/virtualmuseum/climatechange2/01_1.shtml
Masauk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:09 pm
@Ragman,
I tryed all already but thanx anyway:)
Ragman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:15 pm
@Masauk,
Well, those links are where you would find out about Ice Ages and what the science is behind them.

Is there something you need to know that is not contained in those links?
Masauk

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 01:20 pm
@Ragman,
I will read it first, the second link should be helpful. Wikipedia does not help me, I am more interested in signs of the Ice Age and stuffs like that.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 02:02 pm
@Masauk,
Seriously?

Wikipedia doesn't help?
What exactly do you want to know that isn't covered?
Signs of Ice Ages? You mean evidence for (#2), origin of (#1), When they were (#3), Causes of (#6) how it effected the earth (#6 through #6.7) etc etc.

It looks like anything you want to know about all the different ice ages the earth has had is all there.

Type into Good "Geology Ice Age" and you will get enough information to satisfy anyone.

1 Origin of ice age theory
2 Evidence for ice ages
3 Major ice ages
4 Glacials and interglacials
5 Positive and negative feedback in glacial periods
5.1 Positive feedback processes
5.2 Negative feedback processes
6 Causes of ice ages
6.1 Changes in Earth's atmosphere
6.2 Position of the continents
6.3 Fluctuations in ocean currents
6.4 Uplift of the Tibetan plateau and surrounding mountain areas above the snowline
6.5 Variations in Earth's orbit (Milankovitch cycles)
6.6 Variations in the Sun's energy output
6.7 Volcanism
7 Recent glacial and interglacial phases
7.1 Glacial stages in North America
7.2 Last Glacial Period in the semiarid Andes around Aconcagua and Tupungato
8 Effects of glaciation
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 02:37 pm
@Masauk,
You're still vague about what wasn't covered in those links.

In the Wiki article, it listed is the following:
Quote:
Evidence for ice ages

There are three main types of evidence for ice ages: geological, chemical, and paleontological.

Perhaps your going to a public library and doing some research would make this so much easier for you. Just a thought.
chai2

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:30 pm
@Ragman,
This is one of those cases where I can't believe someone managed to find A2K, but couldn't figure out how to google a topic.

How exactly did this person get here?

I just googled "answers to questions" and "where can I find out about something" and we don't come up on the first page.

I also googled "signs of ice age" and we're not there either.

That's something I've always been curious about.
It's a mystery to me.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:51 pm
@Ragman,
Well, thats all circumstantial evidence. I think she wants direct evidence to use in court
roger

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 04:58 pm
@farmerman,
Sue God?
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:21 pm
@roger,
youve heard about "Acts of God" in an insurance policy no doubt? of course , in a lawsuit we dont need "beyond a reasonable doubt"

drumlin

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
somebody should esker if she needs this for school
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 05:40 pm
@farmerman,
thats about all I can think of , more or loess
farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:31 pm
@farmerman,
I just kame here to help out
glitterbag

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 06:54 pm
@farmerman,
Doesn't Wiki offer links and other topics you can check to research ice age and related ice age information. I'm not aware of any one single source you can use to find out every freaking thing that pertains to 'ice age'.

One of my hobbies is reading biographies of people living during the 1880 tp 1935 time period. I aways find mention of people I need to look up, I never know where that information might take me. But I do it because I'm curious about that era and I'm not turning it in for a grade. It explains why, in 2016, I know what an 'oater' and a weeper' are, not even useful in a trivial pursuit game.Research is not for lazy people.
rosborne979

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 07:07 pm
@Masauk,
What is it you want to know exactly?
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 27 Jan, 2016 09:32 pm
@glitterbag,
If youre interested , one of the most famous geo-scientists who researched the Pleistocene Glaciation Pulses and their effects in the US and Europe is RICHARD FOSTER FLINT. He died in the mid to late 1970's.

0 Replies

Masauk

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 07:50 am
I am looking for informations because I am dealing with the natural phenomenons. Recently, I reviewed some informations and I am worrying about the state of the Earth. I'm worried that in a short time ice age could come. I am writing on this forum because I didn't find other, well i did but they are not good enough. I have no time to wait for answer so long. Hope you understand. And it's not that i am lazy or something, i just can't find what i am looking for. And what am i looking for is: Are we in danger?
rosborne979

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 01:51 pm
@Masauk,
We are not in any immediate danger. Ice Ages do not arrive like the seasons. They usually take hundreds or thousands of years take hold.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Thu 28 Jan, 2016 05:22 pm
@Masauk,
There is a really poorly rated movie called Age of Ice - maybe this could answer your questions. Oh and it is also a book. But from what you write my guess is you are more a movie person.