Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 01:16 pm
Hi Son, you don’t hafta respond unless you know the answer off the top of your head. Forgive me, but let's call this...

Open Letter to Apple/Mac industry, esp. to programming deficits

When I was last forced to "Shut Down" for some reason and of course lost all my tabs etc, now I don’t remember how to replace a certain symbol, it’s a little open book at the extreme upper right by clicking on gives me a list of favorite sites in order of frequency

If your machine doesn’t have it, no need to respond but thanks anyway. They should make special ed. routines for us old guys

PS: Found a Post-It from last time I had this problem under "Bookmark Little Descending"——but I can’t find “Bookmark"…..

PPS: I found "Bookmark" and there were 13 subheadings, but none of ‘em "Little"

PPPS: I finally found a “Little Bookmark Box Alias,” but clicking on it gives me only a request for a password. Yet I have 108 passwords with not the foggiest notion which one it wants. Problem again, I guess, is that the ed. routine programmers—folk chosen for their low IQ’s (or is it me?)—are trying to impress everybody with the size and complexity of their work….

Of course I can supposedly reset the password but it gets too difficult. They keep rejecting one choice after another, asking for "...at least eight strokes...at least one character must be a number....at least one must be capitalized....proper names not allowed....lower-case 'l" must be replaced by '1' ...cannot all be numbers, except if alternate characters are letters....the period cannot be used except between number and capital letter.....".....etc etc etc. I suppose if I spend several hours at it.....

So thanks anyhow Son at least for reading this. Hey, maybe somebody at a2k has the answer…..

If not, guys, hope it gave you a chuckle or two...
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 521 • Replies: 12
No top replies

neologist

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 06:46 pm
@dalehileman,
Sorry, Dad.
Can't help ya. Very Happy
neologist

Reply Thu 3 Dec, 2015 07:09 pm
@neologist,
Well, actually . . .

I might be some help with passwords :

If you have a password system that allows for enough permutations, you should be able to figure out which one you use.

One thing I do is make all my passwords 9 digits, even when I could use less.
Then I might substitute number keys for certain letters. For example, I might spell cat as ca7; then capitalize cA7 or Ca&. Plenty of permutations just in the system named 'cat'. You get to decide which numbers might make sense to substitute for certain letters, 1 for l, for example. So your secret is not only in your pet words, but also your cache of substitutions. Even if someone knows your secret word, the number of possible ways to write is huge.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 12:27 pm
@neologist,
Thank you for that, Neo

Quote:
I might be some help with passwords
Okay. This morning I was elated to finally achieve a new Apple/Mac password, "Now I can open my 'Little Bookmarks,' " I mused. But when I tried, I only got another message asking for my iCloud password

Nonetheless your input is muchly appreciated. Just now beginning to understand your subs method

...except "&" doesn't look like "T"
.....well maybe lc
neologist

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 01:25 pm
@dalehileman,
In my twisted brain, 7 looks like t. Hence capital T is analogous to capital &.

So t, T, 7, and & all represent t in one of my secret words. Your brain may twist differently; but only you really know, right? Once you start the permutations, the potential list is enormous.

Also, suppose 5 is one of your secret numbers. What if you spell it F!v3?

The point is, once you put your system in your mind, it becomes easier to remember passwords.
dalehileman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 02:19 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Hence capital T is analogous to capital &
Aha!!!!

Quote:
Your brain may twist differently
Not at all Neo, my noggin equally twisted

Quote:
...5...What if you spell it F!v3?
Holy cow! now not so sure

Quote:
...it becomes easier to remember passwords
Not if you have 110 of 'em. However I will look into your method, there is some logic to it
neologist

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 02:27 pm
@dalehileman,
Does 3 at all resemble E?

Fits my twist
dalehileman

Reply Fri 4 Dec, 2015 02:35 pm
@neologist,
Quote:
Does 3 at all resemble E?
Oh yea, Neo, most certainly

Quote:
Fits my twist
Mine too
0 Replies

Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 06:11 am
@neologist,
Quote:
capital &.

I don't believe I have ever seen a lower-case ampersand.
neologist

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 10:40 am
@Tes yeux noirs,
Your thinking has not been sufficiently twisted. Very Happy
When you depress the shift key, t becomes capital T
Likewise 7 becoomes capital &
The idea is to create your own mental password algorithm.
Tes yeux noirs

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 01:00 pm
@neologist,
I was just merely observing that punctuation marks etc like & ! $ % @ ? don't have "case" and so cannot be either "capital" or non-capital, and the usual word to designate that keyboard operation is to call them "shifted" e.g. on my keyboard a $ is a shifted 4, a ( is a shifted 9 etc. But for the present purposes I see why you may prefer not to complicate things unduly. Smile Smile Smile

dalehileman

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 01:03 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Quote:
I don't believe I have ever seen a lower-case ampersand.
Sure you have Tes, it's a "7"

Edited after Neo, Tes, to remark, you're 'way too literal for a2k
If not too literate

Oops, edited to remark, that came out wrong. It was meant as complimentary
...while Neo and I accede to being the ones twisted
0 Replies

Joe Sixpack

Reply Sat 5 Dec, 2015 03:34 pm
@Tes yeux noirs,
Tes yeux noirs wrote:
. . . the usual word to designate that keyboard operation is to call them "shifted". . .
Good point and well taken.
But.
You failed to note that neo is shiftless. Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Help me my son
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 02:50:37