English to Latin Questions: Why?

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:20 pm
Over the summer I've noticed a lot of questions requesting Latin translations for English phrases. One or two of these posts have mentioned tattoos.

Do you suppose that all these mottos are destined for inky mortality?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 494 • Replies: 16
No top replies

Thok

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:35 am
well, those was soldiers (Iraq and Guantanamo,according the posts ) wanted the tatoos. So they hope support from this...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:39 am
The influx is mainly because of the many English to Latin Translation queries people find us on Google with.

This thread may bring more. ;-)
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 12:53 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
The influx is mainly because of the many English to Latin Translation queries people find us on Google with.

indeed

It is the relevance or do you manipulate google? (kidding)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:19 am
My job is pretty much described as manipulating Google (for another company's websites).
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:30 am
of course

my last post wrote:
(kidding)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:31 am
But it's no joke, your were right. Search engine optimization (manipulating search engines to the best of my ability) is my job.
0 Replies

Thok

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 01:38 am
I know.

Craven de Kere wrote:
Search engine optimization (manipulating search engines to the best of my ability) is my job.

But you must this mark with kidding, or you will be wanted by the police. ;-)
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 09:16 am
My wondering is not why people come here for English to Latin translations; but, rather,-- as I feel Noddy was wondering-- why they want Latin above anything else. What attraction has it? There's nothing wrong with it at all; I'm just curious...

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:20 am
drom--

Thanks for the less goal oriented speculation. I'm not sure whether these quiries want Catholic Church Latin or Classical Latin or just some sort of classy dead language that will conceal the meaning of the phrase to all but the elite.

Personally--and keep in mind, I'm not the tattoo type--I wouldn't think of even wearing a t-shirt with a sentiment that had to be translated for me, let alone having a cryptic phrase dot-dot-dotted into my tender flesh.

Of course, better Catholic Latin or Classical Latin--or even pig Latin--than English vulgarities.

Every rational being deserves a crest and a motto in the language of choice.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:30 am
I'm thinking of getting one in Esperanto...
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:51 am
D'artangnan

A motto or a tattoo.
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 10:53 am
Either. (I'm actually being facetious. Sorry.)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 11:48 am
D'artagnan--

My fault. I should have asked tattoo, motto or provocation?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:16 pm
Or feeble attempt at humor...
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 12:20 pm
True; I don't deride them, Noddy. It just intrigues me that so many people should want Latin on themselves forever... what is it about a near-dead language that appeals to so many people? I think that Latin should be kept living, but what is the point of having something written permanently that one can't really understand?

0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 6 Aug, 2004 01:14 pm
D'artagnan--

Feeble? Never! Say the auditor (spectator?) stumbled.

Drom--

There seems to me to be a superstitious element in choosing Latin for an inky motto--as though the antiquity of the language will somehow guarantee that the tattooee will survive....

...or, in spite of the "little Latin, less Greek" the scholarly tag will announced "Learned and Worldly Human Being?"

Remember?

Latin is a dead language,
As dead as it can be.
It killed the ancient Romans
And now its killing me.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » English to Latin Questions: Why?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:35:49