Can I wash my leather sandals?

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:34 am
They are starting to smell.......They need help, got any suggestions?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 4,654 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:40 am
http://www.diynet.com/diy/lv_household_tips/article/0,2041,DIY_14119_2275103,00.html

Also, fresh air and sunlight might help.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 11:44 am
Thanks Noddy! How bout the washing machine, think that would hurt them?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 12:04 pm
I wouldn't try the washing machine. I wear a lot of sandals. I will sometimes spray some Lysol spray in them, and it works, for a bit. I think that bare feet and leather do not mix well, and after awhile, when the sandals are getting too "ripe" you just have to toss them out!

I recently threw out my favorite sandals. I figured that if I could smell them when I was wearing them, everybody else could! Laughing
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:18 pm
Washing machine? Eek! You could be prosecuted for Cruelty to a Dead Animal.

I might be wrong, but if saddle soap removes the smell of healthy horse, saddle soap, fresh air and sunshine might mitigate the smell of feet.
0 Replies

fortune

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 01:30 pm
Leather can be most unforgiving, can it not?
0 Replies

Portal Star

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:00 pm
I have never found a good solution to smelly sandals.

Water makes them hard and warped out of shape,

baking soda only works for about a day

sunlight is probably the best option but can make them crack...

Are the sandals really old? maybe you just need a new pair?

If the soles aren't leather you can scrub them with detergent and a toothbrush... But that only lasts about a week too.
0 Replies

Tidewaterbound

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 08:21 pm
I'd recommend a good scrub with Murphy's Oil soap, rinse, and dry with a towel. It couldn't hurt to let them sit in the sun a while afterwards to dry. It's worth a shot.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 09:38 am
Portal Star wrote:
are the sandals really old? maybe you just need a new pair?

If the soles aren't leather you can scrub them with detergent and a toothbrush... But that only lasts about a week too.

The sandals are not old at all, well depending on your definition of old...lol, but since I got them they are the only thing I've been wearing on my feet, I guess I should have gave them a breather...hehe. The soles aren't leather, so i'm gonna try and scrub'em, i'm still tryin to get a hold of my horse friends to borrow some saddle soap.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:09 am
Substitute for saddle soap (same web site):

Another option for cleaning leather is to take a damp cloth, wipe it across moisturizing soap and lather the leather. Don't rinse -- buff for a nice shine
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Thu 5 Aug, 2004 11:30 am
Oops, I lathered and rinsed. I better go do it again before they dry, thanks Noddy!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Can I wash my leather sandals?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/02/2024 at 12:22:55