What do we win???
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:24 pm
Hurricanes of the year.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 05:55 am
When did naming hurricanes thus start? Has it always been like this?

(Heavens, imagine having that many children!)
0 Replies

David Emerson

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:37 am
Interesting. From NOAA:

Quote:

For several hundred years, hurricanes in the West Indies were often named after the particular saint's day on which the hurricane occurred. For example "Hurricane San Felipe" struck Puerto Rico on 13 September 1876. Another storm struck Puerto Rico on the same day in 1928, and this storm was named "Hurricane San Felipe the second." Later, latitude-longitude positions were used. However, experience has shown that using distinctive names in communications is quicker and less subject to error than the cumbersome latitude longitude identification methods.

Using women's names became the practice during World War II, following the use of a woman's name for a storm in the 1941 novel "Storm" by George R. Stewart. In 1951 the United States adopted a confusing plan to name storms by a phonetic alphabet (Able, Baker, Charlie), and in 1953 the nation's weather services returned to using female names. The practice of using female names exclusively ended in 1978 when names from both genders were used to designate storms in the eastern Pacific. A year later, male and female names were included in lists for the Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico. The name lists, which have been agreed upon at international meetings of the World Meteorological Organization, have a French, Spanish, Dutch, and English flavor because hurricanes affect other nations and are tracked by the public and weather services of many countries.

0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 07:44 am
Is there really a point here?
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 12:38 pm
Erm... no. Doesnt look like it!
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:32 pm
This is the Grand Poobah's Hurricane Appreciation thread; it has a point ;D.

0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:36 pm
I didn't think hurricanes had points, i thought they were more.. erm... mishy mashy (for want of a better way to describe them) and.. erm... blowy.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:45 pm
David Emersen politely asked who the following people were.

Alex
Bonnie
Charley
Danielle
Earl
Frances
Gaston
Gustav
Hermine
Ivan
Jeanne
Karl
Matthew
Nicole
Matthew
Otto
Paula
Richard
Shary
Tomas
Virginie
Walter

If I'm not mistaken, I believe that is the list of the participants in Bipolarbear's most recent back stage orgy.

Paula and Nicole were apparently insatiable and the rest of the frenzied, oiled mass congregated around those two nymphs and much groping and moaning took place.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
annifa wrote:
I didn't think hurricanes had points, i thought they were more.. erm... mishy mashy (for want of a better way to describe them) and.. erm... blowy.

Very Happy! What is 'mishy-mashy?'

0 Replies

fortune

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:47 pm
Oh, really? You took names then Gus? Have you called any of them back? Laughing
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:48 pm
O-- why weren't you on the official list, Gus? Or was that another Gustav? Really, an orgy should never take place with anyone called Karl or Gaston around.

0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:52 pm
Im not really sure what 'mishy mashy' is... it just didnt sound very pointy, so at the time i thought it may in some way relate to the properties of a hurricane. Very scientific dont u think?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 02:55 pm
drom wrote:
Really, an orgy should never take place with anyone called Karl or Gaston around.

Are you implying that my German brothers lack passion or discretion?
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
You are far, far greater than your brothers, let's put it that way, Gus.

0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:05 pm
annifa wrote:
Im not really sure what 'mishy mashy' is... it just didnt sound very pointy, so at the time i thought it may in some way relate to the properties of a hurricane. Very scientific dont u think?

I find it genius Very Happy. I'll try to get it into the dictionary. Well, if bling-bling can become a word...

0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:09 pm
I -see the list- could tell you a lot, but ... a shut mouth catches no flies.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:15 pm
Quote:
Do you know who these are?

i thought it was someone's Phonetic Alphabet...
0 Replies

annifa

Reply Sat 7 Aug, 2004 03:23 pm
Do phonetic alphabets usually have two m's and various other letters missing?

;-)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Do you know who these are?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/17/2024 at 09:54:51