Someone please explain this to me

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
Something has been baffling me lately,and I need some help to figure it out.
Why do people here on A2K feel the need to post an entire article?
BumbleBeeBoogie is notorious for posting entire,lengthy articles instead of posting the relevant part and a link.
I don't know about all of you,but I usually scroll past those posts that copy and paste an entire article.
Am I alone in thinking that its a little silly to post an entire article,no matter how long it is?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,350 • Replies: 17
No top replies

the reincarnation of suzy

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 03:58 pm
I often feel that way too.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:09 pm
different (key)strokes for different folks, i guess...
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 04:27 pm
Personally, at least if the article is much more than a couple paragraphs long and freely available on the web, I happen to prefer the excerpt-and-link approach myself. I find it generally much more interesting to read what the members themselves have to say about issues than to read a piece from some opinionator with whom a member happens to agree or disagree. Without actual foundational research on my part, I will observe that it is my impression the vast majority of lengthy, quoted-in-full articles tend to be decidedly more of the op-ed sort than to be factual reportage or academic finding. I guess some folks find it hard either to think for themselves or to express those thoughts, or perhaps both.

I will note too that some discussion websites have found it necessary to implement and enforce a strict excerpt-and-link policy, some going so far as allowing only an article's title and source, with no other excerpted content, to accompany the link.
0 Replies

jackie

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 05:15 pm
I, personally, always appreciate the article in FRONT of me. I can brief through it quickly, checking the info I am interested in, or -
noting quickly that I do not need to read it all... move on.
Now, just for ME, that is easy. I don't have to go all over the internet (picking up hangers-on) as I go, to slow down my machine.
And I LOVE BBB. (Three cheers for the Bumble bee.)
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 05:24 pm
BBB does the site a great service. I hope she never changes.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 31 Jul, 2004 11:24 pm
I rather like having the whole article here. I never know when I click on a link if I'm going to have to register to read what I want.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 01:36 am
I don't like, if complete articles are posted. (Different, when they come from sites with to be paid registration.) Especially, when the source isn't mentioned.

However, I noticed, that many, many here don't bother reading the linked articles.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 03:39 am
True, I'd only post a coupla paragraphs and the source. You lot can do your own damn reading!

I also automatically log onto Google and run the issue as a search on the 'News' and 'Web' sites. Then I zip over to the 'Images' site to find a picture of Gus I can post, but that's a different issue.....
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Sun 1 Aug, 2004 06:33 am
Mr Stillwater, isn't Gus on any page of any newspaper on any day in any country?

But correct - that's a different issue (as well as the daily rabbit sites).
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 02:39 am
Which issue of which newspaper was that???
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 03:59 am
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Wed 4 Aug, 2004 04:36 am
Heh heh...I'll pass on bunny jokes today.

I prefer a teaser with a link, but I'm with Walter on the issue of....if the link is a paid site, the article should be quoted in full, because it's a pain in the ass otherwise.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:52 am
BBB
Bookmark
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 08:55 am
I personally like to have the whole article in front of me, to ensure people are not misusing the article by posting relevant parts that back their opinion and leaving counterarguments behind.
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:37 am
BBB
I've explained before, but will explain again. I sometimes post entire articles as a courtesy service to A2K readers. Everyone is free to read them or not.

I post entire articles when necessary because they often on not kept current by the news source for more than a day or two. I've been asked so many times by A2K readers to help them find a story when I posted only the link, which can take a lot of time to research archives.

I've often been frustrated with other's posts that contain only the link and not the complete article for the reasons stated above. I often give up trying to find the story in the source's archives.

I always post the source, and a link if I can. I also add my own comments when I think it pertinent to do so, but I prefer to leave it to A2K readers to form their own opinions.

BBB
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 10:44 am
Bee, you just a ol' anarchist, don't try to soft peddle it . . .
0 Replies

BumbleBeeBoogie

Reply Mon 9 Aug, 2004 11:02 am
Setanta
Setanta, yeah, I guess I've been hanging around too much with Dyslexia.
Bad influence on such a sweet ole girl.

BBB Laughing
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Someone please explain this to me
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 06/22/2024 at 07:47:23