Noise suppression

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 11:01 am
Hello, I have a 12v circuit that has audio noise issue I need help resolving. This is a small component circuit consisting of a audio assist (hearing aid), voice modulator and 4 blower fans. The blower fans are causing PWM noise through the other components similar to that of a old car radio. I'm looking for a suppressor and I'm extremely limited on space. A friend of mine had mentioned installing a diode in the circuit but I'm lacking the knowledge to understand how the diode functions as a suppressor, where I would install it in the circuit and what model diode I should buy.
Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thank you
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 3 • Views: 341 • Replies: 5
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 11:11 am
@ukswrath,
Firstly, you made need something simple like a low-cost noise filter..that is a choke or an RLC (Resistor, coil/capacitor). If this sounds over your head, perhaps you need to talk with a hardware techie, or an engineer or electronic parts distributor.

Another such electrical/electronic means of noise *(static, hash/distortion) suppression is called an opto-isolator. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opto-isolator

Such opto-isolator noise suppression may be applications such as... ones that "are used to protect data lines while making RS-232/RS-422 connections. "
http://www.sitech-bitdriver.com/products/opticalisolator.htm?src=msn

Another, I believe this to be another type of technology, describes a different type of circuitry. this is the patent page but it gives you the correct idea.
http://www.google.com/patents/US6647367}
"An adaptive noise suppression system (ANSS) is provided that includes an input A/D converter, an analyzer, a filter, and an output D/A converter."
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 11:34 am
@ukswrath,
Zener diode also may work (transient voltage suppression diodes):

http://www.protekdevices.com/Assets/Documents/Technical_Articles/ta1001.pdf
0 Replies

kengreen

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:03 pm
@ukswrath,
I am afraid that you are looking at the wrong end of the problem. Once noise gets into a piece of apparatus it is normally not possible to winkle it out sgain. (Assuming that you do not know Harry Potwer ?P)
You must stop the electrical noise at source; i.e.stop that noise from getting out of the fan(s).
If te culprit is an older model with a brush motor it can be persuaded to keep its remarks to itself but you do need some learning. Might be possible to buy a mains-suppressor unit that is put between the mains socket and the plug to your unit.
If possible replace the fan with one drivn by an induction motor.
Ken Green
Ragman

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 12:07 pm
@kengreen,
Quote:
Once noise gets into a piece of apparatus it is normally not possible to winkle it out sgain

Simply said, that's not true.
I don't have the time to go over this with you. I suggest you check out all the links..one of them discusses what you're looking for in detail.

One of the expert regulars here..(nick is Engineer) might wander by and make a comment. I'm not volunteering him but he is far more expert than I am.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Tue 13 Oct, 2015 03:06 pm
@ukswrath,
When you say the fans are causing the issue, are you sure that is true? The problem goes away if you disable the fans? Do you think the fans are inducing the issue inside the circuit or is it coupling with the wiring?

Without knowing what your system looks like, my first thought would be to try some EMI foil tape. If that helps, that is cheap and easy. You can buy filters that will take out high frequency signals, but it might also impact your hearing aid (knock out some of the sounds you want.)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Noise suppression
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/14/2024 at 10:19:24