When was the last time you READ a major Newspaper front/back?

hawkeye10

Reply Fri 16 Oct, 2015 04:00 pm
I spent several weeks trying to get back into the habit of the Sunday NYT's. But is is such a small paper now, only the magazine is of the quality of 20 years ago. The rest of the paper is maybe 40% of the old content yield, and too much of that is inane crap put there to appease the barely literate.

Depressing.
BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 07:32 pm
@hawkeye10,
I used to read the local newspaper front to back but it now is four times the cost of yesterday and less then one fourth the content so that habit is far in my rear view mirror.

It sad as I am lacking the details local news that I used to be on top of as the internet and TV news does not do as good a job as far as local area news is concern.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 07:36 pm
@BillRM,
BillRM wrote:
internet and TV news does not do as good a job as far as local area news is concern.

I dunno about that. The FB community groups are pretty fast at finding out what store is on fire, why there are helicopters hovering etc

our police liaison is all over FB and twitter

the local political coverage is pretty tight and timely on FB and twitter
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 07:38 pm
@BillRM,
I did not read the NYT for three weeks and gave it another try today. What a mistake. $6 for this? Seriously?
0 Replies

BillRM

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 07:40 pm
@ehBeth,
I guess I am going to need to look into facebook and twitter. I have a facebook account but is never on it and my twitter account at the moment is only being used to follow computers/internet security issues.
ehBeth

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 08:24 pm
@BillRM,
I've been on FB for 8 or 9 years - just discovered the neighbourhood groups in the past year - been amazed what I've learned about what's going on here. Our immediate police detachment is looking at adding a second social media person as so much information comes in that way - and that is how they keep us updated on stuff like gang projects, more feet on the street, missing people.

Recently, someone in the neighbourhood posted a short video of someone stealing his bike and kid-wagon. Other people id'd another video floating around of the same guy using a stolen credit card at McDonald's - his ex-girlfriend's friends gave info about where he tended to hang out and, boom, he was arrested. It showed up on three neighbourhood groups and in our police feed. It was kind of amazing to watch.
hawkeye10

Reply Sun 18 Oct, 2015 08:46 pm
@ehBeth,
Newspapers gave up trying to cover local news a good while ago, so FB has the market. It helps that their reporters work for free.

What does not help is that FB is a slave to political correctness, and is getting worse all the time. You will never be able to count on FB to deliver unpleasant information that you should or need to know. I would expect FB to run far to the Left of reality, though I have not yet seen any studies on this. Not that any such studies can be made because FB controls the information on how FB is used, another reason they can not be trusted.
0 Replies