stock bicycle frame alteration....

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 05:49 pm
i want remove the seat post down tube from a firmstrong bruiser 26" mens cruiser, as to resemble a vintage elgin bike. top tube solid and curved, extends past down tube. refer to google images for designs. (sorry, no where to attach pics) so, if removed.... will it change the structural integrity so much it would become a hazard? or will it still be sound enough to cruise safely. not jumping it, just cruising. any input greatly appreciated
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 4 • Views: 1,177 • Replies: 4
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 05:59 pm
@thunderbeard,
First, you are talking about a seat tube, not the down tube. Yes, if I understand that you want to remove the seat post below the top tube, you will have destroyed the structure.
0 Replies

Region Philbis

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 06:00 pm
@thunderbeard,
Quote:
(sorry, no where to attach pics)

Ticomaya wrote:
How to add an image to A2K in 6 painfully easy steps:

1. Navagate to "imgur.com." You can type those words in the browser address area each time, or perhaps if you're feeling adventurous, save it as a bookmark/favorite.

2. Click on "Computer" in the "Upload images" section on the page. You might have to look for this, but it's sorta toward the upper right of the page.

3. Navigate to your image on your computer. (Pretend you are going to email it to a friend.)

4. Click "Start Upload".

(Seconds later .... Voila ... your image is now hosted on the Internet!)

5. Copy the link to the image, which is found to the right of the displayed image. (I use the "BBCode" link, and just paste that directly into my A2K post -- it adds the IMG codes so I don't have to. Otherwise you can use the "Direct Link" and add those codes yourself.)

6. Paste the link into your A2K post (using the IMG codes if using the "Direct Link" method, or without using the IMG codes if using the "BBCode" method.)

(Voila again ... you have just added a link of your image to your post. Always preview to make sure it worked properly.)

Note: The IMG codes should like something like this, as they surround the link to your image in your post:
Code:[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/Kxym77c.png[/IMG]

facebook is also a good hosting site...
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 09:25 pm
Elgins have double downtubes that add rigidity to the frame. You're going to remove the toptube and leave the only downtube that your bike has. It's not going to be near as rigid as an Elgin frame. I wouldn't do it.
0 Replies

InfraBlue

Reply Tue 21 Jul, 2015 10:35 pm
Sorry, I misread what you wrote.

You want to remove the seat tube.

The frame won't be as rigid without it, of course, but those Firmstrongs have massive top tubes. I think it'll work.

http://www.jbikes.net/images/men_bruiser_prestige_matte_black.jpg

http://www.nostalgic.net/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/1940-Elgin-Twin-Bar-4-Star-Deluxe.jpg
0 Replies