What would be better? Graduating from a CSU in 2017 or graduated from a UC in 2018?

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 07:01 pm
I've been attending community college in California for 2 years now. I've just been accepted into a CSU for this Fall, meaning I will will presumably get my Bachelor's Degree in the Spring of 2017. However, if I stick with the community college for another year, I have a good chance of getting into a UC. However, this means I won't be graduating until the Spring of 2018, by which time I'll be nearly 24.

I'm kind of in a hurry to get out into the real world and live on my own and start supporting myself, and it's nearly impossibly to do this without a Master's Degree. Do graduate schools care a lot about which university you went to? Or is it mainly about the grades? I just feel like the earlier I get out and become fully independent, the better. Or would it be better, in the long-run, to wait another year and go to a UC?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 452 • Replies: 2
No top replies

FBM

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 07:13 pm
@grilledthomas,
I would be wary of making decisions based on being in a hurry. It's easy to make a decision that you'll later regret. I started out as a double major in English and Philosophy, but I finished the Philosophy requirements first. One more semester and I would have finished the double major, but I was in such a hurry to get out of school that I bumped the English down to a minor. Just because of one class.

As for the difference between a CSU and a UC, I would guess that it might make a small difference to a grad school, but I'd be willing to bet that your GPA would be more important. You've already been accepted by a CSU? A bird in the hand, and all that. Others might differ.
jespah

Reply Wed 24 Jun, 2015 06:41 am
@FBM,
To add to this, a community college is inevitably cheaper. Don't underestimate student loans, and your ability (or not) to pay them off in the future. Don't say you'll always be working; you have no idea what will happen to the economy and anyone can become disabled.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What would be better? Graduating from a CSU in 2017 or graduated from a UC in 2018?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/15/2024 at 07:46:57