New Ca watering regs revisited

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 12:22 pm
Chris, thank you most kindly for that rundown. I’m especially delighted that the unit you suggest below uses flashlight batteries and grateful it costs no more than the 62001 I had been considering for the application--was afraid I'd go broke replacing all those 9-volters

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Orbit+Model+%23+24723

... though I had hoped for a single-station unit. But because yours can handle two valves at once (probably my max, owing to certain pressure requirements) I am hoping I won’t need to buy 12 of the units but only 6. The new High Desert regs (only at night, only 2 days/week, etc etc) being so very involved, I’m fwding this to my sons, who are better at making such judgments

(I should add for their benefit however that two of our outlets already handle two stations each; but if I understand your rundown correctly your 24723 could be programmed for the two valves to come on at different times)

Thanks too for the admission that it won’t skip a week, as we had expected. I believe however that I can successfully water our trees once a week instead. Have to increase total dosage of course to reach the same depth so if my sons (and my Better Half, who I am sure you’ll agree are all smarter than I) agree, thank you again Chris for your patience and forbearance

Begin forwarded message:

To: [email protected]
Date: June 22, 2015 at 9:53:25 AM PDT
Subject: Technical Support Response to issue number F6J8572456

Dale,
Model # 24723 meets some of those requirements. It is powered by 2 AA batteries. It comes with a timer/4 port manifold/2 valves. You can purchase 2 additional valves for it as well. So it can control up to 4 valves/stations. It has 3 progams, A/B/C. So you can set up 3 different schedules/start times. So for example if you wanted it to run at 8AM and 8PM, you could do 8AM on A and 8PM on B. Or if you wanted the first valve to be on a Monday and the 2nd valve to be on a Friday, you could do 1 on A and 2 on B, etc. You can program it for specific days, but you can not make it skip weeks. None of our timers can be programmed to run specific days, but have weeks skipped inbetween. It can also be programmed on a interval, but only up to 7 days. So that would be the equivalent of once a week.

If you need further help, please call us at 1-800-488-6156, option 1. (7am-5pm MDT/Mon-Fri).
Thank you,
Chris
Technical Support
Orbit Irrigation Products, Inc.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 519 • Replies: 12
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
Are you talking to a six foot rabbit named Harvey? I believe that many of us have NO idea in hell what you are talking about
dalehileman

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 03:57 pm
@farmerman,
Man, out here in Ca's Mojave Desert we have a whole new set of regs for watering, one requiring it be done at night, another only on certain specified days (that is, nights) of the week, requirements the typical less expensive battery timer doesn't meet. Chris is describing Orbit's unit that does meet these. If I can further clarify please feel free to q
roger

Reply Mon 22 Jun, 2015 06:00 pm
@dalehileman,
Sorry Dale, but you are in the Mojave Desert in the worst drought California has had in decades and you're worried about watering the lawn. In New Mexico, most lawns have been xeriscaped for years. Maybe you don't really need a lawn.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 23 Jun, 2015 12:42 am
@roger,
Quote:
...you're worried about watering the lawn
Hi Rog and thanks, that one gives me a real chuckle as we've watered some 12 stations on our 2.5 acres now for 19 years, none of 'em lawn. Six manual watering stations at every two weeks are trees, large shrubs, and a small orchard; the other 6 using timers several times a week for a garden and other smaller shrubs

I'm not sure we'd have purchased this place had we been able to predict such an awful drought because our predecessor had blessed us in that first group with some 200 trees, over half having died meanwhile for one reason or another. But just recently in an attempt at patriotism we cut back from 40 gal each every 2 weeks, with fingers crossed, to 30. Browning tips are becoming ominous here and there

Still for this first group if The Establishment would offer to chop 'em down, cart 'em away, and finance their replacement we'd be happy to have instead xeriscape around the periphery

Formerly we had set the second group at 2 hrs per session, with some consternation cutting back to 1 hr. So we are a bit concerned about the garden, especially with this new requirement at only 2 days a week
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Thu 25 Jun, 2015 12:20 pm
@dalehileman,
Hi Brenda

Thanks for the immediate report, and I’m sure glad some of the other restrictions were relaxed, esp 2 days/wk, as this will save us a fortune not having to buy a dozen expensive new timers programmable by day of week

However 7 hrs/wk must be a typo, or else I heard it wrong. Maybe it’s supposed to be 7 hrs/day or 7 hrs/wk/station, because at 7 hrs/wk almost everything everywhere will die instantly

Will be looking fwd to hearing from you again on this critical issue
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 01:28 pm
@dalehileman,
I am either going nuts or you are just ******* with the "enter" button. Are you sending messages to people other than those at A2K? I see no references to anyone named "Chris" or Brenda.
If you dont mind, please dont send messages that need a lengthy introduction as to who youre talking to and about what.
I care deeply about the drought but I dont think I have any ability to respond to anything youve said cause I find it rather confusing.

As far as advce, roger makes the best.
Ive had severl of my staffers who lived around the Folsom, Lido and Walnut Creek areas try gardening and theyd be burnt out by April unless the people used drip irrigation tricks using "apple rings" that I brought in form Pa orchards
dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 01:57 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
....... Are you sending messages to people other than those at A2K?
Man, these are mostly copies of messages to others intended for participants under pressure of the new watering regs hereabout. If you're not also subject to these restrictions, then of course the messages will seem mysterious

Quote:
I see no references to anyone named "Chris" or Brenda
Sorry about that, Man. These are officials of the local water distribution authority

Quote:
.... please dont send messages that need a lengthy introduction as to who ....about what.....I find it rather confusing.....
Sorry Man, but I'm sure those affected don't need much of an intro, they will know at once what I'm talking about. But why is the lengthy intro such a bad thing

After all nobody has to read my postings, and I won't be offended

Quote:
unless the people used drip irrigation tricks
Yea Man I've been using such tricks for some 19 years now. But with the new regs I'm way over the limit still trying to find ways to conserve without our 75 trees, gardens, and shrubs going brown forever

If I can further clarify please inquire. Or even email me at [email protected]
farmerman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:03 pm
@dalehileman,
The problem is that you do not INVITE broad participation. I am certainly interested in California's plight but I have no ide even where youre coming from if you decide to keep your entie topic a "secret" to a small group of people who , I think, ARENT EVEN ON A2K.
WTF dale, think about it.
Im gonna write a letter to Vladimir Putin to gripe about his expansionist sabre rattling . BUT, Im gonna write it to a SCientific American magazine Blog. Make Sense?
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 02:21 pm
Most of the southwest and a lot of California has been under restricted water regulations for several years. In New Mexico, they go by the 3-2-1-2 rule. 3 times a week in the summer, 2 times a week in the fall and 1 time a week in the winter and 2 times a week in the Spring. You have to do your watering before 10am or after 7 pm and if you let any of it run off into the sidewalks/street, you can be fined.

Sounds like the Apple Valley area is finally getting on board with similar regulations.

dalehileman

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 05:44 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Sounds like the Apple Valley area is finally getting on board with similar regulations
Indeed it is But. 7 hrs/week watering total (impossible, seems like a typo), only at night
Butrflynet

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 07:28 pm
@dalehileman,
The alternative is running out of water and not having any to water your property with. You'd have to drill your own well to try and find water for yourself.
roger

Reply Fri 26 Jun, 2015 09:16 pm
@Butrflynet,
I'm pretty sure well usage is regulated in NM. That's why all those beautiful golf courses claim to be using "grey water".
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » New Ca watering regs revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 05:20:56