Want a perfect hard-boiled egg?

cavfancier

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 08:09 pm
No offense taken. They are not that difficult to prepare.
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 12:28 pm
Just to let you know Cav, I tried your hard boiled egg recipe for lunch. I think it makes the best hard boiled eggs I've ever eaten. Smile
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:13 pm
Re: Want a perfect hard-boiled egg?
cavfancier wrote:
The trick is, don't boil it. This method will work for as many eggs as you need, provided the pot is big enough to not be crowded. Put the eggs in the pot and cover with cold water. Add a somewhat generous amount of salt (makes them easier to peel, usually, and adds flavour). Cover pot and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat, leave covered, and let sit for 11 minutes. Rinse cold water over them until cool enough to handle, peel and use for whatever you want. I have found that this method results in a clean, sweet-tasting egg, with no grey around the yolk (a sign of sulfur, a product of overcooking, which is also responsible for "egg smell.")

When you use this method, is the yolk always hard, or is it sometimes runny?
0 Replies

colorbook

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:26 pm
I followed Cav's directions to a tee; the eggs were perfectly done and not runny. Smile
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 01:43 pm
Now I understand. Eggsis not my business normally, but microwaving don't work. Existentialistically.
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 02:20 pm
Re: Want a perfect hard-boiled egg?
Miller wrote:
cavfancier wrote:
The trick is, don't boil it. This method will work for as many eggs as you need, provided the pot is big enough to not be crowded. Put the eggs in the pot and cover with cold water. Add a somewhat generous amount of salt (makes them easier to peel, usually, and adds flavour). Cover pot and bring just to a boil. Remove from heat, leave covered, and let sit for 11 minutes. Rinse cold water over them until cool enough to handle, peel and use for whatever you want. I have found that this method results in a clean, sweet-tasting egg, with no grey around the yolk (a sign of sulfur, a product of overcooking, which is also responsible for "egg smell.")

When you use this method, is the yolk always hard, or is it sometimes runny?

If you want the yolks more runny, soft-boiled, you can use the same method, just leave the eggs in for less time. 5-8 minutes maybe, depending on how soft you want the yolk.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:11 pm
made the tea eggs. I ****ed around with the recipe a bit and used garam masala and soy and some reice vinegar in the "briney mix" left em in the mix for about 2 days nd they were super. The wife and I had oe and the kids hoovered the rest. Gotta make more.
Thanks cav and General (I assume you are of Chinese heritage?)
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 07:48 pm
so, these eggs (the 11-minute recipe) come out with the yolks fully cooked?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
I tried it, and it worked. I bet the generous addition of salt raised the boiling point of the water, which is why I use it with spaghetti, at 5000' elevation.

Still can't get the damn things out of the shell in one piece.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:48 pm
The eggs, I mean. Spaghetti doesn't come in a shell.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Thu 8 Jul, 2004 08:50 pm
<grin>
0 Replies

ladyram

Reply Thu 29 Jul, 2004 04:31 pm
Thanks! I have never been able to perfect the hard boiled egg.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:14 am
What is "garam masala"?

Thanks,

General Tsao
0 Replies

cavfancier

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 06:30 am
GeneralTsao, garam masala is an Indian spice mixture used in many dishes. Generic brands can be found in the supermarket, or in ethnic markets. However, if you wish to experiment, here are a few different styles to make at home:

Basic Garam Masala

Cloves 1 tsp
Cardamom 1tsp
Cinnamon 2 - 1 inch sticks
Black pepper 1 tsp

Dry roast all ingredients separately and grind. Store in an air tight container.

Garam Masala

Cumin seeds 4 tablespoons
Coriander seeds 4 tablespoons
Cardamom seeds 1 table spoon
2 Cinnamon sticks ,crushed
Black peppercorns 1 tablespoon
Whole cloves 2 teaspoons

Dry roast all ingredients in a heated heavy skillet over medium heat until the spices emit a toasty aroma. Let cool. Grind to a powder in a spice mill or blender. This one is great for meat dishes.

South Indian Masala

Coriander seeds 1 cup
Chana daal 1/2 cup
Urad daal 1/2 cup
Oil 3 tablespoons
Dry Red chillies 3/4 cup
Asafoetida or Hing 2 teaspoons

In a heavy sauce pan, dry roast coriander seeds, chana daal and urad daal, about 5 minutes. Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a heavy frying pan. Add the red chillies and fry for 2-3minutes. Now add the asafoetida. Remove from the heat. Place all the ingredients in a blender and lend to a fine powder. Great for South Indian dishes.
0 Replies

GeneralTsao

Reply Fri 30 Jul, 2004 03:57 pm
The first two look really yummy! I don't know about the last one because I don't know what half the ingredients are.

Thanks very much for your thorough response!

General
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/19/2024 at 10:18:30