Fancy a punt on the Royal baby's name?

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 10:04 am
Favourites are Alice, Charlotte, Victoria and Elizabeth. Rank outsiders are Chardonnay and Daenerys.

http://www.oddschecker.com/novelty/royal-baby-ii/name-of-baby
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,243 • Replies: 19
No top replies

chai2

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 10:10 am
@izzythepush,
When the first baby was coming along, my fav was Princess Hashtag.
izzythepush

Reply Sat 2 May, 2015 02:22 pm
@chai2,
It's all that's on the bloody news right now, and because there is no more news they're interviewing a bunch of weirdos who turn up at Buck House every time anything remotely Royal happens. Lots of them are staring tearfully into the camera and pleading for Diana, like they know what's right.

Not just weirdos from Britain either, they're from all over the world, all with the slightly unsettling gaze of the fanatic, including the news teams.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 12:21 am
I prefer normal names for children . Please not somehing like North West or anything even more crazy.
The parents can do whatever they feel like it when it comes to name the new little princess, also including Diana.
I hope it will not be the name she will be called. It is so difficult to live up to the memories of a dead mother.
izzythepush

Reply Sun 3 May, 2015 03:28 am
@saab,
I think it might be a second or third name. My guess is something traditional, Alice or Victoria. It won't be anything unusual.
saab

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:40 am
@izzythepush,
Charlotte, Elisabeth, Diana
A good joice in my opinion
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 09:52 am
@saab,
grandfather/greatgrandmother/grandmother ... all from the father's side Sad

I do like the Charlotte bit - very popular here
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 10:28 am
@saab,
saab wrote:

Charlotte, Elisabeth, Diana
A good joice in my opinion

It won't be long before someone with a Diana complex points out that Diana comes after Elizabeth and tries to make something out of it, but most people should be happy enough.

Although I think it's a bit weird naming a kid after a spider.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 10:29 am
@izzythepush,
izzythepush wrote:
It won't be long before someone with a Diana complex points out that Diana comes after Elizabeth and tries to make something out of it

it's already all over my facebook feed
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 12:02 pm
@izzythepush,
Please , who is a spider?

People are hopeless. A greatgrandmother usually comes before a grandmother in age and politeness. No matter what you do - it is wrong
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 12:05 pm
@saab,
http://static1.squarespace.com/static/50b88908e4b012760ada1011/t/53525ca4e4b0f59e951fe1b8/1397906607724/
izzythepush

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 12:09 pm
@ehBeth,
I meant the film, not the book.
0 Replies

Kolyo

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 01:52 pm
I'm surprised "Cameron" wasn't offered at short odds.

Who wouldn't fancy a punt on the Cam.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:01 pm
@ehBeth,
Oh, isnĀ“t that cute.
Never heard about that book nor the film. Wonder why - sold 46 million books and I never got one. Been looking it up on internet.

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:09 pm
@saab,
I've never read it either. I oddly didn't have many kiddie books. I seem to have gone from oil cloth picture pages (drooling not a problem) to the LA Times comics with few intermediate books, one of which I still have. I do remember a large drawing book bought at a drugstore in Fairfax, Virginia (I must have been five) After kiddie comics, a few child oriented books like Black Beauty and the Black Stallion horse series, but mostly I got into staring at my parents' magazines. So, I missed Charlotte's Web and much else. I'm not as completely sorry as I should be since I had fun 'reading' anyway.
ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:18 pm
@ossobuco,
E B White - I consider him one of the very finest American writers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/E._B._White

I didn't learn about Charlotte's Web til I was an adult and was looking for more of his work - and I fell in love with the story and writing immediately.

Quote:
He published his first article in The New Yorker magazine in 1925, then joined the staff in 1927 and continued to contribute for around six decades. Best recognized for his essays and unsigned "Notes and Comment" pieces, he gradually became the most important contributor to The New Yorker at a time when it was arguably the most important American literary magazine.
roger

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:32 pm
@ehBeth,
He's the White of Strunk & White.

I've actually read Charlotte's Web within the past two years. I felt so literary! Actually, I preferred the Freddy the Pig stories of my childhood, but doubt Freddy is in the running for the royal infant.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 4 May, 2015 02:43 pm
@ehBeth,
And then there was his wife, Katherine, who was no slouch.
And his - that was him, wasn't it, with the shared book with Mr. Strunk, Elements of Style, which JTT didn't approve of, and by now I probably would whiff on one or two points - but is itself a classic. My copy is from '72, 2nd edition.

Just read, this morning, a piece about Renata Adler and the New Yorker people.
I read her at the time of her most prolific writing.
http://nymag.com/nymetro/news/media/columns/medialife/1812/
I liked people Renata Adler didn't like. Which goes to show... something.

Ok, ok, back to the baby..
I'm not a monarchy fan, but on the other hand, I sort of get it as tradition.
I was talking with Diane about it a few days ago, that in a way I feel like I am part of Elizabeth's generation (not true, but Diane and I were alive for her coronation and watched tv and she wasn't all so old then). I read some list of the Queen's views on Kate, which is why we were talking about it, that I was surprised how odd I found them. No link. Something about 14 comments from the Queen. Maybe on one of those cheesy click bait sites. Or maybe it was the Guardian. I can blur-read, and do.

Diane and I talk world stuff, local bits, all matter of foo, and this time the Queen came up since I'd just read that article.
0 Replies

josephineperry2010

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 03:01 am
@izzythepush,
Anjelika would be nice.
izzythepush

Reply Tue 5 May, 2015 03:03 am
@josephineperry2010,
Too late, name announced, betting ends.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Fancy a punt on the Royal baby's name?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/20/2024 at 07:35:11