What do you think of motorized scooters?

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 03:38 pm
Not the ones you see in the commercials for the elderly, i mean the other ones? What do you think when you see someone ride by on one? Do you throw things at them? Laugh and yell crude things to them? Think they're pretty cool and you wish you had one?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 825 • Replies: 14
No top replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 05:06 pm
They're dangerous. Don't get one.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 05:08 pm
you mean like the mopeds, or the really small ones that are tiny motors on scooters/
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:03 pm
I was talkin about the moped kinda ones, I never actually thought about those tiny ones till you mentioned it, so either or will do!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 06:28 pm
mopeds are ok but you need to get used to their running . Its easy to do a wheelie in the really cheap ones that dont have anything but a centrifugal clutch. i used one at a mine camp a few years ago. i was skidding out a few times a week and Ive spent years on Harleys and Triumphs. the chain drives like the old vespas can catch your pants , but over all, once you get used to em, theyre pretty neat.
the little tint scooters are dangerous for kids cause of the low ground clearances.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:23 pm
Now that I told you about being cautious, have fun!
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:42 pm
MOTOR-SCOOTER
i think you want a MOTOR-SCOOTER, not a "mototorized scooter". i would say that the safest (and probably one of the best overall) is the BMW-C1. the rider sits inside a protective shell, and also wears an across the the chest (racing style) seat belt. they are quite popular in europe, but they certainly are also expensive - well, after all, they are a BIMMER ! the C1 has been tested in canada and BMW is waiting for approval from the authorities so that they can start selling. i understand that the price is to be in the $6,000 range; so it is not exactly cheap transportation. you can find details here >>>BMW-C1 ... i used to drive a little 100cc motorcycle by the name of IMME (bumble-bee) in germany. sure was fun ! (didn't even wear a safety-helmet in those days - had not been invented yet, i think ! ). hbg
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 07:43 pm
I think they're ok unless I'm driving in my car and they're in the road holding up traffic ;-) In my area since the sppeed limit is pretty fast in most areas, they would be quite dangerous.

Just be careful.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Sat 26 Jun, 2004 08:26 pm
MOTOR-SCOOTER
if you'd like to see the motorcycle i was riding when "courting" the future mrs. h, have a look here >>>THE BUMBLE-BEE ...note that the motorcycle did not have a convential fork, but instead had a tubular arm(indeed, the whole frame consisted of tubular arms). aren't you all glad i survived riding such a "racing machine" ? i really looked quite spiffy in those days cruising around hamburg.hbg
0 Replies

Gargamel

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:38 am
They're for hipsters and scene kids. Dangerous because their vision is obscured by the bangs hanging over their eyes. But if they hit you, you can milk their trustfunds with a lawsuit.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 09:49 am
Just to clarify:

do you mean
Quote:
Main Entry: scoot·er
Pronunciation: 'skü-t&r
Function: noun
Date: 1916
1 : a child's foot-operated vehicle consisting of a narrow footboard mounted between two wheels tandem with an upright steering handle attached to the front wheel

with a motor

or

Quote:
2 : MOTOR SCOOTER
Function: noun
Date: 1919
: a low 2- or 3-wheeled automotive vehicle resembling a child's scooter and having a seat so that the rider does not straddle the engine

?
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 10:10 am
Have you all seen the new little teeny tiny motorbikes?

Here are some stats:
Quote:
Color: Red, Black, Blue, Silver, Yellow
Engine Displacement: Single Cylinder / 47cc
Engine Type: Air Cooled / 2 Stroke
Speed: 35 - 40 MPH
Range: 35 Miles Average
Cooling: Forced Air Cooled
Starter System: Manual Pull Start
Fuel Oil Ratio: 25:1
Gas Tank Capacity: 0.5 US Gallon
Transmission: Automatic
Exhaust: Single Pipe
Suspension: N/A
Brake System: Front & Rear Disc Brakes
Tire Size: 11" Tubeless Racing Slick
Dimensions: 39" L X 14 "W X 24 "H
Gauges: N/A
Safety Features: N/A
Battery: N/A
Frame Work: Steel, Fiber Glass
Overall Weight: 50 lb.
Net Weight: 39 lb.
Maximum Load: 250 lb.

http://i3.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/b7/bd/8b_1_b.JPG

I'm not sure what rules and regs are required to drive these things. But, I've seen teens cruising way up and down these city streets.
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:13 am
Walter- I'm not sure what the technical name is for it, but I have one, an old one. It's a yamaha splash or something like that. It goes probably no faster then 60km, it doesn't have peddals. It has two wheels, handle bars for steering, headlight, tail light, and signal lights, and a nice cushy seat. I havn't driven it in years, but i was thinkin about taking it to work and back seeings how my bicycle got stolen. I've never rode it around town before, only out in the country. I probably won't ride it again anyway...lol...I just wanted to start the thread to see what the scoop was about scooters.
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:24 am
Well, I think, every third kid here has one (there are special driving licenses for those).
0 Replies

InTraNsiTiOn

Reply Mon 28 Jun, 2004 11:33 am
I don't think i'd need a special license, although I also havn't looked into it either. I'm from Canada, so it's probably alot different here.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » What do you think of motorized scooters?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/25/2024 at 10:43:44