often little more than a facade masking pure, unprincipled feeling?

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 10:25 am
Does "often little more than a facade masking pure, unprincipled feeling" mean "often merely a misrepresentation that hides pure, unbridled feeling"?

Facade here refers to "a showy misrepresentation intended to conceal something unpleasant"?

Context:

The neurologist Robert Burton argues that the "feeling of knowing" (i.e., the
conviction that one's judgmentis correct) is a primary positive emotion that often floats free of rational processes and can occasionally become wholly detached from logical or He infers this from neurological disorders in which subjects display sensory evidence. pathological certainty (e.g., schizophrenia and Cotard's delusion) and pathological uncertainty (e.g., obsessive-compulsive disorder). Burton concludes that it is irrational to expect too much of human rationality. On his account, rationality is mostly aspirational in character and often little more than a facade masking pure, unprincipled feeling. Other neuroscientists have made similar claims. Chris Frith, a pioneer in the use of functional neuroimaging, recently wrote:
[W]here does conscious reasoning come into the picture? It is an attempt to justify the choice after it has been made. And it is, after all, the only way we have to try to explain to other people why we made a particular decision. But given our lack of access to the brain processes involved, our justification is often spurious: a post-hoc rationalization, or even a confabulation --- a "story" born of the confusion betwee imagination and memory.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 239 • Replies: 2
No top replies

Miller

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 11:01 am
" rationality is mostly aspirational in character and often little more than a facade masking pure, unprincipled feeling"

I agree that rationality may be mostly aspirational in character.

I don't agree that rationality is" little more that a facade, masking pure, unprincipled feeling".

A rational person, in the US stops his/her car at the red light because it is the law and the driver avoids a traffic ticket, by stopping his/her car on the red light. He/she also avoids killing any person, who may be walking in the street and doing so because the person has the "green light/ GO light".

The above "rational driver" acts because he/she is rational and has the power to reason. The so-called "unprincipled feeling" has nothing to do with the actions of the rational car driver, stopping at the red light.

Imagine, being stopped by a traffic cop and saying "Officer, I went through the red light because I had this intense "uprincipled feeling".

First the cop would,"So bud, what're you smoking"? Next, "Step out of your car"...and so on.......................
oristarA

Reply Sun 12 Apr, 2015 11:50 am
@Miller,
Well, what does "facade" mean there?
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » often little more than a facade masking pure, unprincipled feeling?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/01/2024 at 03:16:04