How to start to talk with a native speaker naturally?

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:57 am
It's quite hard to talk with a stranger. Anybody know that how to start the conversation naturally?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 463 • Replies: 7
No top replies

contrex

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 10:55 am
Discuss the weather.
saab

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 11:09 am
@SweetHao1996,
Where do you start a conversation with a stranger?
You just donĀ“t walk up to someone and ask questions.
So where?
In a public tranportation.There you can ask about the sights in the city even if you know them, or in a train about the places you pass, if you are allowed to borrow the newspaper.
In a cafe ask at the next table what they would recommend
At H&M ask a girl of your age to help you pick out one of the outfits you are trying on.
Supermarket - look confused and ask a senior citizen about the local cooking and if she could please help you come up with some ideas.
SweetHao1996

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:22 pm
@saab,
Some foreign visitors come to China and how to talk to them?
SweetHao1996

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:23 pm
@contrex,
Not British is also OK?
0 Replies

chai2

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:30 pm
People love to talk about themselves.

The easiest way is to notice something about them, and point it out to them, or ask them about it.

chai2

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 07:34 pm
@chai2,
When I was a little girl, I liked to pretend I was Dick Cavett, and tried to get them talking. It really did work best when I got them to talk about themselves.
0 Replies

saab

Reply Tue 7 Apr, 2015 10:41 pm
@SweetHao1996,
If you want to talk to tourists you have to think about who it should be,
Stick with women and preferable in your own age group or older women.
If they talk with someone else you can say excuse me and ask what language they are speaking, where they come from, what made them come to China etc.

I personally would be very careful in giving an unknown person a compliment about something she wears. It can be misunderstood and some will feel it is far too personal.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How to start to talk with a native speaker naturally?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.08 seconds on 04/26/2024 at 10:38:02