Christian suicidebombers

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 04:48 am
Something just crossed my mind: are there any Christian suicidebombers in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,140 • Replies: 18
No top replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 05:57 am
None have been documented to date.

The closest thing to a Christian suicide bomber in history ("close" being relative here, of course) might be the original suicide terrorist: a fellow named "Samson". At least one contingent of suicide-oriented terrorists in Palestine calls themselves "Samsonian Warriors".

Closer to home, Jim Jones (remember him? Sad ) came the closest to bringing Christianity and suicide together of anyone in history. One could, however, legitimately argue that the stuff he pedalled only faintly resembled Christianity, and that the suicide in question was not of a terrorist nature (though undoubtedly just as devestating for the families involved).
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 06:02 am
The incentives just aren't there. No frollicking with a plentiful supply of virgins for Christians.
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:23 am
:wink:
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 07:41 am
Haven't heard of any. Why would a Christian fight for an Islamic state?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:18 am
Re: Christian suicidebombers
Rick d'Israeli wrote:
Something just crossed my mind: are there any Christian suicidebombers in the Israeli-Palestinian conflict?

How could one tell? Would the Christians be wearing a medal of some sort?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:20 am
Steve (as 41oo) wrote:
The incentives just aren't there. No frollicking with a plentiful supply of virgins for Christians.

No virigns, perhaps, but eternal life in Heaven. Which is better?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:21 am
Re: Christian suicidebombers
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

The hatred between Jews and Christians in Israel, is not as intense as that existing between Moslems and Jews.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:23 am
Miller
Any suicide bomber that has ever been written about has been a Moslem. That would be a good indication. Don't you think?
0 Replies

Rick d Israeli

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 11:17 am
miller wrote:
Rick d'Israeli wrote:

How could one tell? Would the Christians be wearing a medal of some sort?

One of the reasons I asked whether there are any Christian suicidebombers is because one of the reasons for suicidebombing portrayed by some is that it has its roots not in religion but in social circumstances (concerning the Palestinian Territories in this case). If that were the case, than the Christian Palestinians - according to this rhetoric - should have a part in the Palestinian suicidebombers. I find it a rather strange question that you imply that Christian suicidebombings would not be recognizable.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 03:41 pm
Quote:
The hatred between Jews and Christians in Israel, is not as intense as that existing between Moslems and Jews.

I'm so pleased
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 08:50 pm
What is theologically and morally wrong with suicide bombings? A Palestinian Christian perspective - Naim Ateek

In a somewhat related story, Israel recently turned away 26 Christians who had gone to Israel to commit group suicide.
0 Replies

Mr Stillwater

Reply Mon 21 Jun, 2004 09:40 pm
When Christians plant destructive devices, "it's not personal".....

Quote:
Bombing the Murrah Federal Building was morally and strategically equivalent to the U.S. hitting a government building in Serbia, Iraq, or other nations. Based on observations of the policies of my own government, I viewed this action as an acceptable option. From this perspective what occurred in Oklahoma City was no different than what Americans rain on the heads of others all the time, and, subsequently, my mindset was and is one of clinical detachment. (The bombing of the Murrah Building was not personal no more than when Air Force, Army, Navy or Marine personnel bomb or launch cruise missiles against (foreign) government installations and their personnel.)

I hope this clarification amply addresses your question.

Sincerely,
T.M.
USP Terre Haute (In.)
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 05:23 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
A Palestinian Christian perspective - Naim Ateek
Thanks for the link;
Naim Ateek wrote:
[W]hen Christians suffer, it should make them more compassionate for the suffering of others rather than bitter and vengeful. The greatest form of bravery is, therefore, to bear suffering rather than to inflict it. In the struggle for civil rights in the United States, Martin Luther King Jr. recognized the heavy price that needs to be paid for freedom but refused to accept any violent method to achieve it. He said, "Rivers of blood may have to flow before we gain our freedom, but it must be our blood"…."King insisted on the teaching of Jesus and Gandhi that unearned suffering is redemptive."

Craven de Kere wrote:
In a somewhat related story, Israel recently turned away 26 Christians who had gone to Israel to commit group suicide.
Might you have a link for this other story?
Mr Stillwater wrote:
When [non-moslems] plant destructive devices,
we need not jump to the conclusion that they are Christians. Please read Maggie Gallagher on this issue: How 'Christian' was Timothy McVeigh?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 09:58 am
jnhofzinser wrote:
Craven de Kere wrote:
Might you have a link for this other story?

Certainly, with me trusty Able2know toolbar it's a quick task:

http://www.harpazo.net/forzion/99October12.html

Similar:

http://www.jpost.com/com/Archive/21.Oct.1998/News/Article-9.html

http://www.rickross.com/reference/pilgrims/pilgrims3.html

http://www.cesnur.org/testi/pil_003.htm

Some related ones:

October 26, 1999
- Fearing a possible outburst of millennium-related violence, Israeli authorities rounded up members of two Christian groups living on the slopes of the Mount of Olives on Monday and ordered 20 of them deported

January 4, 1999 - Police yesterday detained eight adults and six children belonging to a Denver-based apocalyptic Christian cult and accused the group of planning violent acts in Jerusalem. They said that the group planned to provoke a bloody shoot-out by opening fire on policemen, and that members of the group believe that this act would hasten the second coming of Jesus.

This is the Google cache of a recent Jerusalem post article talking about the issue of "Jerusalem syndrome" and Christian cults planning violence in Israel.
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:04 am
The Jerusalem Post wrote:
The second group is people with a real psychiatric disease, ... with very strange thoughts about politics and especially religion.
True dat. They must be particularly "fringe" to only be heard about four years late....
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:33 am
Religious fringe groups tend only to be significantly noticed at a time that can be described as "too late".
0 Replies

jnhofzinser

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:46 am
Craven de Kere wrote:
Religious fringe groups tend only to be significantly noticed at a time that can be described as "too late".
Too true. In the present case, however, one wonders how much of the "suspicion" was well-grounded, and how much of it represents a justification for their deportation (after all, they never actually did anything, and might not have been heard of since).
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 22 Jun, 2004 10:49 am
If there is one thing I have learned in my life it is to avoid being on the side trying to argue Israel's suspicions as accurate.

They tend toward better safe than sorry to a degree that some consider a fault.
0 Replies