News gaps revisited

Reply Fri 20 Mar, 2015 11:22 am
OpEd, Victorville, Ca Daily Press, in a continuing effort to reveal gaps in news story owing to the reporter's subliminal assumption that the hurried reader is familiar with its background as he is. Has anyone else among some 300,000 a2k subscribers found this to be the case

Another typical example of gaps in the news story: After three times perusing "Students at Phoenix Academy...." March 10, I was still in a sort of haze as to its nature and its location; so I showed the report to my Better Half, who I'm sure by now you must agree is much smarter than I. But this time she wasn't sure either, guessing that it's in The Cloud, a sort of digital nowhere, having heard some mention of it as an actual investment. Well yes, I mused, digital sites--like Google--do actually require financing!

And it must also have some physical attributes, as suggested by "...the entire campus, pre-kindergarten through eighth grade..," having participated in a "...Chant-off, in which students represented Michigan State University and University of Notre Dame" and vague references to "Campus-wide activities...in ....a virtual tour of the University of Texas." ("Virtual" again suggesting the digital manifestation?)

...and by the photo showing "A student writes on the 'I promise to be' banner at Phoenix Academy...", apparently wrapped on a structural column of significant diameter. Perhaps Phoenix Academy is an alternative or non-traditional grade school seated atop that column, its students communicating with other learning institutions through the Internet.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 270 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » News gaps revisited
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.04 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:29:47