Tricky Tray? Chinese Auction? Silent Auction?

Noddy24

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:47 pm
Tricky Trays, Chinese Auctions and Silent Auctions are all staples of local fundraising parties. I've never been to one and I have no idea how they work. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,755 • Replies: 8
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 19 Jun, 2004 01:52 pm
I conducted a silent auction... basically, instead of having a barker ("isthat20Isee20doIsee30doIsee30Isee30doIsee40doIsee40SOLDtotheladyinred") there are items laid out for display and then bid sheets in front of them. People browse, and write down their bid at their leisure. The bids will no longer be accepted after a certain point. Then, whomever has the highest bid on the bid sheet at that point wins the item.
0 Replies

Tryst

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 06:46 am
Count me in!
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:28 am
There a specific reason why 4-year-old threads are being revived? Nostalgia for the last leap year/US Presidential election/Summer Olympics, perhaps?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 09:33 am
It's definitely entertaining.

(it was good to re-read Cav's nice and lively posts - I'd forgotten about his comments about Brooke as Christian in Kicky's I'm an old man thread)
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 11:47 am
Deja vu all over again.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 12:06 pm
ooh ooh ooh

since this thread was posted I've participated in an interesting variant of a silent auction (three different groups did this)

first - the items with their piece of paper - bidding til X time is written on the piece of paper. then the piece of paper is attached to an envelope, and written (secret) bids for a further period of time are deposited in the envelope. High bid in the envelope wins.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:19 pm
Cool variant! We might use that one.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 20 Jun, 2008 04:28 pm
My last local art museum had a bunch of us local painters each year put in a tiny painting or construction on a routine 6 x 8 cheap canvas provided by them, for auction, to be held at winter holiday time in the main room, and remained there on the not-wide walls between windows receiving bids for something like six months. I figured they made money as they kept that going year after year and it wasn't the best room in the wonderful building for any kind of comprehensive show for a single artist - better as event room. That was fun.

So, in that case, all anyone had to do was fill out a slip and put it in a box by the painting. I can't remember if it was by drawing or highest bid (it would seem so, but maybe not) that the winner was chosen for each painting. I might be misremembering, it might have been that each bid was $10., and it was a drawing, but that over six months that added up.
Plus I figure you could bid more than once.
I left town before the drawing and only know mine sold, but then I'm guessing they all did.

On the thread renewal, I'm for thread renewal. This particular battery of them, I dunno.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Tricky Tray? Chinese Auction? Silent Auction?
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/04/2024 at 02:10:40