How do you like DST

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 11:14 am
To Victorville, Ca Daily Press this morning

Open letter to the appropriate authority, whomever you might be:

Thanks to Pat Orr in "Ready for Sommerzeit" in Apple Valley Review March 3, for some Daylight Saving Time history, however dispassionate. But I plead earnestly at 84 to abandon this silly shift twice a year, having so far entailed for me--by actual count--3,644...

....or for the U.S. At Large: 801 billion, 680 million resettings.

You might suppose this total doesn't include radio clocks; but you'd be wrong, no time-saving whatever, inasmuch as almost every time we have to take them outside where the time-code signal is stronger.

...while consensus has it saving hardly energy at all. But as I recall the main reason for DST it reduces a chance of the kid on his way to school to be molested in the dark. But if there's any logic to this notion at all, why not simply have DST all year?

My later life retired with a comparatively huge property includes attention to five outside water timers. So I've adopted an approach this year which other such High-Desert residents might wish to emulate in order curtail the clock job by at least one-third if not even cutting it in half: Skip your three cars entirely and also the timers. And to make it easier to keep track of what's being watered when, also skip the half-dozen or so outside clocks. So, just change those in the house.

I'm hoping it's feasible, that we can get used to the diff.

Dale Hileman
Apple Valley
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 298 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 11:56 am
@dalehileman,
Forget the water timers! If they were right before the change, they are right now. Lawns are responsive to hours of daylight. We change time, not the sun.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 9 Mar, 2015 01:12 pm
@roger,
Yes, no, Rog thanks, but if the outside clocks are reset to DST while not the timers, then the wretched owner now has to make that mental correction each time: Oh, why isn't it on, let's see, do I have to add or subtract that hour….
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » How do you like DST
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/29/2024 at 09:29:10