Obsessive touching

Msjudy

Reply Sat 7 Mar, 2015 04:36 pm
I have a four year old preschool student who is always touching things and people. She will run her hands up and down my leg while I'm reading. When sitting on the floor she will sit very close to other students and pet them or run her hands in their hair. If I use any kind of prop she will Need to touch it. Is this normal behavior or something she needs help with? I have never had a student like this in 30 yrs.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 655 • Replies: 1
No top replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 8 Mar, 2015 08:38 am
@Msjudy,
She is comforting herself. It is quite normal. My daughter used to like to touch other kid's ears even walking next to them with her hand on the other kid's ear in pre-school. (She's now 40 and a very successful hair stylist)

My grandson had to have his fuzzy blanket with him all the time. Many kids need this kind of security touching, although this little gals behavior does seem excessive.

Can she be given ONE item (piece of silk, fuzzy, little stuffed animal) that she could use during this time?

Have you asked her parents about this? Is it a problem at home? The most important thing is for her to not be shamed about this by adults. Let the other kids say something to her - as they should when someone touches them how they don't like.
0 Replies