Need clever electrical trick

Reply Fri 27 Feb, 2015 12:11 pm
Now using outside, timer supposed to run it about 20 min a day, keep in shape

Track corroding in a matter of hours, it's my brilliant idea for the coal car to carry a rechargeable battery!! charging whenever loco encounters live stretch

Of course then we'd be unable to easily vary speed or to back up, tho not critical issues as with visiting offspring we could easily disconnect batt

However the immediate q arises, how to get it started again if last parked on dead stretch--that is, without humanoid intervention

Thanks all you ac-dc fellas
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 635 • Replies: 6
No top replies

bahtah

Reply Sat 28 Mar, 2015 07:12 pm
@dalehileman,
I assume (hate that) the train is outdoors and large enough to carry passengers?????? Or at least is a smaller outdoor installation. If the battery solves your problem I would look to solar so it charges if the train is running or not. I doubt you would have enough live track sections to maintain the battery.
dalehileman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 12:08 pm
@bahtah,
Quote:
and large enough to carry passengers?????
Nah Bah, it's a typical model train

Quote:
If the battery solves your problem I would look to solar so it charges if the train is running or not
Yeah Bah but the trouble is, it won't charge when still connected to the loco. What's needed is some means for automticvally disconnecting it when power is off

Quote:
I doubt you would have enough live track sections to maintain the battery.
Precisely so; but thanks for your efforts on our behalf
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 01:22 pm
@dalehileman,
You are doing all that battery running to keep the rail from corroding? Considered stainless steel rail?

http://www.elmassian.com/trains/track-aamp-switches/track-aamp-rail-material
dalehileman

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 04:12 pm
@ossobuco,
Quote:
You are doing all that battery running to keep the rail from corroding?
The cab would carry a battery to keep the train going over the bad stretches but yes, Oss, previously I had been running the thing (using train transformer) 20 minutes a day just to keep the track conductive

Quote:
Considered stainless steel rail?

Thank your that suggestion. I will fwd this to my No. 1 Son, whose kids might like to see it running once more
ossobuco

Reply Sun 29 Mar, 2015 05:19 pm
@dalehileman,
I have a slight background and some mild interest in outdoor model trains - I've somewhat designed two of them. One was for a hobbyist in Los Angeles, and he knew everything already, only wanted to know how the hell to put it on his slope in the Hollywood hills, a matter I could handle. He and wife were interesting people and I had fun with the project.

Another time, our two person design firm reworked a whole property, long story, and the last part was to get to the guy's heart's desire, a raised model rail track. That was in a very moist part of the country. I did no specifying re the trains, et al, more the structural stuff.

At some point I actually bought some model train magazine; I don't remember if it was about only outdoor model trains, but I think it was. It's not my interest, but I enjoyed working on those projects at the time.

Re your son, that link might be a start to other places to read.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 30 Mar, 2015 10:03 am
@ossobuco,
Thank you Oss for that rundown, it must have been fun . Haven't heard from No. 1 Son yet, maybe won't. Still need an idea that would automatically disconnect the batt when the transformer goes off but would reconnect it when power comes back on. The difficulty lies in strong probability that the loco will have stopped on a dead stretch; so it wouldn't know it was supposed to reconnect the batt
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Need clever electrical trick
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 06:01:50