bennattod

Reply Tue 24 Feb, 2015 05:43 am
@mordidaman,
Q19 bit of a tongue TWISTer this.

Any chance of a hint for Q50
Ramires7

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 01:08 pm
@bennattod,
50: Names of horses who won a prestigious event in consecutive years - flat. / Sri Lanka in ancient times used to be called 'TAPROBANE' {anagram}, clue. / Pot Pourri! Pot Pourri! & before WW11!
mordidaman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 02:39 pm
@Ramires7,
I don't wish to appear ungrateful Ramires7 but I had seen these clues on the forum. I'm afraid they are going over my head - you don't by chance set the clues for the Times crossword? I give you full credit for solving this and hope you end up with full marks and a prize!! You certainly deserve it.
Ramires7

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 02:54 pm
@mordidaman,
Flat race in Country just over the channel - before WW2. Then read the clues in the question, consecutive years e.g. look for mythical god.
mordidaman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 03:09 pm
@Ramires7,
There's a lot of races to go through but I'm off and searching. No wonder my other hobby isn't getting any attention. Thanks for your help much appreciated!
bennattod

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 03:15 pm
@Ramires7,
ooh la la vive la France, many thanks Ramirez7, those were some very testing hints, but it was a`real quiz' and not kindergarten.
0 Replies

mordidaman

Reply Wed 25 Feb, 2015 03:28 pm
@mordidaman,
You learn something new every day!! Many many thanks Ramires7!
0 Replies

Opsimath

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 02:24 am
@Ramires7,
Thought we were giving clues Ramires but not the answer.
Ramires7

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 03:58 am
@Opsimath,
I invariably do just give clues or hints & only expect the same in return, As Mordidaman said 'There's a lot of races to go through'. I was surprised the penny/Centime hadn't dropped earlier & it was late in the evening! We all still expect to have to do research/'google' {as encouraged by the quizmaster} even given helpful hints. I have been 'elbowed' in the right direction in the past, after hours of fruitless research, and I appreciate it.
Opsimath

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 04:13 am
@Ramires7,
Fair enough but I just felt that having spent a lot of time myself "googling" prestige races until finding the correct one that it made it all a bit easy for those that ,to coin your phrase,the centime hadn't dropped.
mordidaman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 04:28 am
@Opsimath,
I'm very sorry that the centime hadn't dropped quickly for me and that I needed extra clues. Whilst I am new to this forum I have been doing the GFQ ( and its predecessor) since the beginning. I have struggled in the past and done an awful lot of "googling" to solve questions without help only to find simple clues being given. I know how frustrating this can be hence my joining this forum. If you wish me to leave then I will but I was working on the basis "if you can't beat them , then join them "!! Ramires7 I am very grateful for your help and am sorry you have been unfairly criticised. And any way there are still 49 other questions I have to get right!!
Opsimath

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 04:46 am
@mordidaman,
No one,least of all me,is suggesting that you leave this site or do not contribute maybe in the future.Indeed I have been grateful for clues given in this and past quizzes.My frustration was borne from the fact that having found out,from a hint here,that it was in a famous horse race I perhaps was lucky to have a flash of inspiration to look "in the right place".I also think that with the 6 monthly roll over closing this month that some people may be disadvantaged by clues given out which are more explicit than perhaps they should be.
mordidaman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 05:11 am
@Opsimath,
I fully accept you weren't suggesting I leave and hope that I can contribute in future. I was frustrated by the fact I needed help and that I was so slow on the uptake. My flashes of inspiration are becoming a lot dimmer these days!! Solving q50 was affecting my health - one bottle of Jack Daniels and several cigarettes!!! Good luck if you are one of the leaders in the running total.
Ramires7

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 08:53 am
@mordidaman,
I do the quiz for enjoyment, seeking more knowledge and satisfaction. Anything else {like a 'winning' entry} is a bonus. JD & fags not recommended - but a glass of red occasionally is!! Regards.
mordidaman

Reply Thu 26 Feb, 2015 11:36 am
@Ramires7,
Exactly the same reasons for me except I tend to forget the knowledge!! Red doesn't agree with me - the others do in moderation!
Opsimath

Reply Sat 28 Feb, 2015 03:02 am
@mordidaman,
Now that the closing date has passed hope everyone was able to complete their entries.Best of luck to all.
0 Replies