Social Security nightmare

Reply Fri 6 Feb, 2015 12:26 pm
I applied for Social Security when I turned 62 because I desperately needed extra income. Shortly afterwards, I received a letter from SSA stating that they didn't pay me enough and raised my benefit. I am not getting much to begin with, as I was in a severe car accident at the age of two, and this has impaired my functioning somewhat in the workforce. Two years later I got a letter that SSA paid me (and my son's mother) too much and sent me a bill for over $2,000. Exactly one month later, the bill was over $4,000. Five month's later the bill was over $9,000. Although I, in good faith, accurately projected my estimated income each year, the SSA rep told me that it was my fault that SSA paid me too much. In addition, the annual SSA statement says, "When your employer(s) reports your actual earnings...we will adjust your benefits if necessary." Neither was this done, nor were my benefits adjusted because of my stated estimation of income from work. I requested a waiver. I was told that a decision would be made in 2-3 weeks. I was notified to come in to the SSA office in five months later, and they would then make a decision. I got a letter that same day from SSA in Maryland that my Social Security benefits have been discontinued. In other words, this decision had already been made before they asked me to come in and explain why the overpayment was not my fault. I am in dire circumstances now.
I recently accessed my account online. Because it contains inaccurate information, I called SSA. After being on hold for 38 minutes, an agent asked me my SS number, mother's maiden name, and place of birth. She then hung up! I was immediately directed to a 'survey'. I then requested a call back from the website. An agent called and would not acknowlege that the info I accessed online is inaccurate - even though I read it to her three times - directly from the page. She then hung up.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 0 • Views: 263 • Replies: 0
No top replies

1. Forums
  2. » Social Security nightmare
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 05:45:01