KIDS TODAY ARE A BUNCH OF PANSIES . . .

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 08:29 pm
My clothes were patched so often I was wearing nothing but patches. The clothes had long since worn away.
chai2

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:08 pm
@edgarblythe,
Edgar, that made me think of that old song "Patches"

I always liked that one.

0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Sun 18 Jan, 2015 09:30 pm
We were so poor the kids had to weigh-in for pole position at the dining table.

(HT Johnny Hart)
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 12:56 pm
They made us learn penmanship.
With actual pens.
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 01:15 pm
@George,
George wrote:

With actual pens.

OMG!
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:35 pm
We wanted to grow beans but we were so hungry we ate the seeds.
0 Replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 02:42 pm
During the thirties crash, Father once had to wait another year before upgrading the Bentley, even though the ashtrays were full.
0 Replies

George

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:18 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Lustig Andrei wrote:
George wrote:
With actual pens.
OMG!
Yes! And they made us use entire words, including vowels.
Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:38 pm
@George,
George wrote:

Lustig Andrei wrote:
George wrote:
With actual pens.
OMG!
Yes! And they made us use entire words, including vowels.

No words in our penmanship classes. Just straight pens and inkwells...and circles and diagonal lines. All done with the meat of the forearm staying set on the desk.

What a bunch of nonsense. My penmanship was crap when I started...and even crappier when I finished.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 08:43 pm
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQeHcLDrgbsPhsJMobMd62T6_1r-UaPk5qxAfrtDIhqlmus8wampQ

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLxFgUSA8stt6uNJHboxCg8up8n544V85pAQ5lqIO-y52B8w9_xg
Lustig Andrei

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:03 pm
@George,
Remember the Palmer Method?
Butrflynet

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:30 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I remember doing hours of those cursive exercises. I still do those rows of circles on occasion to loosen up my handwriting when it starts to condense into an unreadable scribble.
edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:32 pm
In grade school, teachers held up my papers to show off my handwriting. Now, it is so bad, it's the reason I bought my first computer. Too hard to read my own handwriting.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:32 pm
@Lustig Andrei,
Very well.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:41 pm
@edgarblythe,
Handwriting was the only subject I ever failed in primary/elementary school. My writing was so bad that my 16th birthday present was typing lessons at a secretarial college, my parents reasoning that I'd never get to university writing by hand.

Luckily for me computers took over and I had a touch typing speed of 60+ wpm. I'm pretty damn good on a numeric keypad too - courtesy of summer jobs doing stocktake totalling.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 09:46 pm
I was alway ok but not perfect in handwriting. In high school, I played around with it. In college, I scribbled in panic. In the lab, I scribbled for notes. In design, I learned to do drafting printing. Some of my best arty pals had non perfect but beautiful handwriting, so I played too. I took calligraphy early and tossed it, nice as it was. Thus my own handwriting is a mesh and my printing depends on my mood.

I've hand printed many many many design notes.
I look at the bits I've retained with some present wonder.
But that is nothing.
At one point, business partner and I redid a need housing area, and I looked at the original designs.

Whoever did that was a genius. I'd have kept those drawings but had to give them back.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:21 pm
Don't get the wrong impression. My typing sucks too.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 19 Jan, 2015 10:51 pm
@edgarblythe,
The other blessing was the lecturer who told us not to take notes during her lecturers as we 'wouldn't be paying attention' to what she said if we were writing. In a bout of wishful thinking (perhaps influenced by the fact I couldn't read my own writing) I extended 'not taking notes' to all my lectures. It worked - I usually got D or HDs (although I only got a CR in statistics. Stupid chi test.)
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 03:35 am
@hingehead,
hingehead wrote:

Handwriting was the only subject I ever failed in primary/elementary school. My writing was so bad that my 16th birthday present was typing lessons at a secretarial college, my parents reasoning that I'd never get to university writing by hand.

Luckily for me computers took over and I had a touch typing speed of 60+ wpm. I'm pretty damn good on a numeric keypad too - courtesy of summer jobs doing stocktake totalling.

My writing was so bad.....and still is....that I'd have been referred to an Occupational Therapist if I were a kid today!
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Tue 20 Jan, 2015 06:51 am
@Butrflynet,
Butrflynet wrote:

I remember doing hours of those cursive exercises. I still do those rows of circles on occasion to loosen up my handwriting when it starts to condense into an unreadable scribble.

I notice that they do not even do cursive writing in schools these days. Some kids are actually baffled by having to read it...putting documents like The Constitution (in the original) out of their reach.

I wonder how they manage a signature.