1

Which softener? Hydrogen peroxide conditioning needed?

kojef

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 04:03 pm
Hi h20 Man, I've been reading quite a few of your posts here and was wondering if you could give me a bit of advice...

My parents are moving into a home that has the following measurements:
Iron: 1.5ppm
Hardness: 11gpg
TDS: 158
PH: 7.5
No nitrates/sulfur/methane
Some iron bacteria is present

I've been looking around at different options - also, both culligan and Home Depot/Rainsoft have been out to visit and are giving us the hard sell. My parents are in their 70's and I only am able to get home once a year or so, so we would like a unit that requires as little maintenance as possible. Ideally, they would like something that they can set and mostly forget, other than a deposit of potassium every few months and a yearly maintenance check. They lose power to the property about once or twice a year, so would like a unit that doesn't require re-programming in any way after a reboot.

So I guess I have a few questions. Firstly, do they require a hydrogen-peroxide injection system to kill the iron bacteria and prevent it from fouling the softener in some way? This is what both the Culligan and Rainsoft people told us.

Secondly, which softener do you recommend for older folks with little to no technical or do-it-yourself ability who will need a unit that will function reliably and be as easily serviced as possible? I see you recommending North Star and Ecowater units in the past - is that still what you would recommend today? Lowes is currently selling a Krystal Pure 42000-grain softener for $1027, what are your thoughts about this model? The other I am leaning towards is a Fleck 5600SXT 48000 grain softener, currently retailing on Amazon for $589. Both Culligan/Rainsoft are putting in total quotes of around $6400, and although my parents have the ability to pay for this they would greatly prefer to buy something cheaper, as long as it is still well made and reliable - and ideally comes with a good warranty.

Thirdly, both the Culligan and Rainsoft people were recommending they put a reverse osmosis system for their drinking water to remove sodium introduced by the softener. If they are to use potassium instead of sodium, am I right in thinking that the RO system is mostly rendered unnecessary? I say this because of potassium's larger recommended daily allowance in comparison to sodium (4700g potassium vs 2300mg sodium), which leads me to think that an extra 700mg of potassium daily isn't going to hurt them in the way that 700mg of extra sodium potentially might.

Lastly, if we go with either Culligan or Rainsoft they will send out their own people to install the system. If we get our own, should we just call a local plumber? Or does this sort of installation require some specific knowledge that only a water-softening-specialist will possess?

At any rate, hope you've had great holidays and are about to have a wonderful new year! Looking forward to hearing from you, thanks so much for your help to both me and others on this forum!
-kojef

ChristopherMHatch

0  
Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 01:41 am
You should use a water softener that can remove iron and treat the water hardness well. You have done necessary water tests to know quality of water. There are lots of water softeners which can fulfill your needs. You can also try some salt less water softeners also which provides natural drinking water, easy to use and have less maintenance.