does men also affected with breast cancer?

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:43 am
most of females are affected with breast cancer but i don't know that men also affected with breast cancer i don't the reason why it affects to men so please help me
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 6 • Views: 3,751 • Replies: 11
No top replies

roger

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 02:58 am
@nani06120180,
It does, but it's rare.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 07:10 am
@nani06120180,
The American Cancer Society estimates for breast cancer in men in the United States for 2014 are:

◾ About 2,360 new cases of invasive breast cancer will be diagnosed
◾ About 430 men will die from breast cancer

Breast cancer is about 100 times less common among men than among women. For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000. The number of breast cancer cases in men relative to the population has been fairly stable over the last 30 years.
djjd62

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 07:18 am
maybe 40 some years ago my grandfather had a lump removed, when i was giving my new doctor a run down of the family health history, he said he knew men got breast cancer but i was the first person to ever mention an actual case of it to him
Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 07:26 am
@djjd62,
Quote:
For men, the lifetime risk of getting breast cancer is about 1 in 1,000.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 08:51 am
@Ragman,
And I bet a lot of those deaths are preventable. Women get it drilled into us that we need regular mammograms, but men don't get 'em. I just had mine two days ago and I've been going to this center since we moved here (so, it's been, egad, 19 years now), and I have never, ever seen a man in the area where you wait for the test, only in the main waiting area where a guy would be waiting for his wife or girlfriend.
Ragman

Reply Wed 31 Dec, 2014 09:13 am
@jespah,
I know only one male who was unfortunate to have gotten breast cancer. Of course, when I bumped into this person it was while getting chemo.

Many men avoid seeing doctors and getting yearly checkups.. When you have a lump or any unusual skin problems or health problems. Many often wait far too long.

Furthermore, I've just spent this last year being treated for cancer (NH-Lymphoma) and very fortunately I'm 100% in remission. That happened because I insisted on following up on a lump in my neck that was an early sign.

Warning to all: Know your family history. I'd venture to say, just as a guess, that women know their family history 3 times as often as men. Women are not knowledgeable enough in this behavior area, too.

Warning Men over 50 (and all men) about getting a yearly physical: get a complete physical check-up exam and skip nothing, including a visit to a dermatologist. Once every 5 years get a colonoscopy, especially over 50.
0 Replies

firefly

Reply Tue 6 Jan, 2015 12:31 am
@nani06120180,
I had a co-worker who was diagnosed with breast cancer. He was actually embarrassed about mentioning the type of cancer he had because he felt there was something unmanly about it. He knew he was being foolish about that, but he just couldn't shake the feeling of embarrassment.

When he told me that, I realized how difficult it must be for men to deal with this type of cancer because it is most often associated with women, and support services are geared toward women, and most survivors you hear from are women. That can make a male with breast cancer feel rather isolated in dealing with his feelings.
0 Replies

clydeyounge

Reply Tue 17 Sep, 2019 04:53 am
@djjd62,
Right
0 Replies

BrentFoust

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:31 am
@nani06120180,
It’s extremely, extremely rare!!! The incidence rate of breast cancer in men is very low, although the exact cause is unknown. There could be some genetic predisposition. Another possible reason is the bad effects of certain drugs that cause gynecomastia, man boobs, which may increase the risk of breast cancer in men.
0 Replies

hightor

Reply Thu 26 Sep, 2019 05:44 am
Sen. Edward Brooke was one of the better known men to have had this form of cancer.

Quote:
In September 2002, he was diagnosed with breast cancer and assumed a national role in raising awareness of the disease among men.
0 Replies

JessicaPerry

Reply Wed 25 Mar, 2020 05:14 am
@nani06120180,
Male breast cancer is rare cancer that forms in the breast tissue of men. Though breast cancer is most commonly thought of as a disease that affects women, breast cancer does occur in men. Male breast cancer is most common in older men, though it can occur at any age.
0 Replies