17

Is Nigger an OK Word to Use?

FBM

6  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:49 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I am advocating that society become more like I was brought up in my family and how I raised my kids, anything can be talked about, fights are fine and even fun just fight fair......and nothing gets in the way of important things liie turkeyday dinner. Fight before and fight after all you want, but at dinner we are family.

Heart-warming sentiment, as far as a single family goes, but you seem to be interested in making everyone else conform to your personal preferences, too. Am I wrong?
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:50 pm
@engineer,
That sounded ok till people started to take that generosity and demand the right to decide for us what reality is, and how we should act, how we must act to stay free of the agents of the collective to include the police.

Now I am not so nice. I will not forfeit my freedom quietly, I demand to be hauled off to the jail screaming if my freedom is to be taken from me. If the bossy ones start to act nicer then I will too, but the first step has to be that they stop lying to me.
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:52 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

Are you joking? My love is for truth and freedom, I have no interest in bossing anyone around.
engineer

6  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 06:58 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Now I am not so nice. I will not forfeit my freedom quietly, I demand to be hauled of to jail screaming if my freedom is to be taken from me.

OK, use it to your heart's content and if for some reason the government comes for you, I'll stand in your corner. You have a free speech right to use whatever words you want. But people use nigger all the time, mostly as the racial slur its always been and I don't see any police cars going by, so I'm not sure why you think the speech police are waiting outside your door. If white supremacists can march down the street with nigger written on signs, I think you are fine pursuing your crusade.
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:05 pm
@engineer,
You are naive, in an era of hate laws and an eric holder justice department the State long ago came after my right to decide what words come out of my mouth.

Or are you going to tell me that I am free to do the crime so long as I take the penalty?
engineer

8  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I want you to show me evidence that the government is restricting your speech. I have plenty of evidence that people say offensive things all the time and the government doesn't bat an eye. Westboro Baptist protests funerals of servicemen with impunity but you think you are going to disappear for using a racial epithet that is in common use all by racists all around the country?

FBM

6  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:25 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

But if you start using odious, derogatory terminology in public places, and insist that it would be wrong for them to respond as they naturally would, then you're de facto forcing them to accept what they consider to be unacceptable. The individual's freedom of speech is curtailed in situations such as this, and for a good reason: public peace.

Hate speech is, outside the law, speech that attacks a person or group on the basis of attributes such as gender, ethnic origin, religion, race, disability, or sexual orientation.
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 07:48 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

hawkeye10 wrote:

If you dont feel free to confront/object to my odious fashion sense why do you feel free to object to my odious language?
FBM

4  
Tue 11 Nov, 2014 08:14 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Within the boundaries of the law, I do feel free to confront/object to your fashion. When either your fashion or your speech becomes hate speech, you will have crossed a legal line.
NSFW (view)
coldjoint

-1  
Wed 12 Nov, 2014 10:52 am
@FBM,
becomes hate speech,

There is the problem. When we allow someone to determine what hate speech is we defeat the purpose of free speech(and miss many truths). Get used to being offended, and get the **** over it.
FBM

3  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 04:56 am
@coldjoint,
coldjoint wrote:

becomes hate speech,

You only wish you had the power to offend me. Now, go yell "Fire!" in a crowded theater or something. Laughing
OmSigDAVID

4  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 06:01 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

This according to a NYT's headline

The NFL banned it. The NAACP once gave it a “funeral.”
But, if anything, it is the very notion of banning the n-word
that today appears dead and fit for burial.

Blacks for sure often use the word, but some claim that only blacks
should be allowed to use it, which according to me is BS.

My opinion is that words should never be banned, and that nigger
is a lot like the word slut, it has been reclaimed and should no longer be considered a negative word.

What say you?
Whenever anyone asks if something is OK, good or bad,
he shud indicate by which CRITERION that question shud be judged.

I take a free speech filosofy to it,
but if u use it then u shud be prepared
for a loud n emotional reaction to it; maybe vengeance.

As with anything: choose your audiences with care.
I don t care what the NFL thinks about anything.

David

Banana Breath

5  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 09:46 am
In an ideal world we will
1) Never try to hurt others with words any more than we would with weapons
2) Never voluntarily SHRINK our vocabulary
3) Never presume to censor the thoughts and expressions of others

I think the word Nigger is properly used by Leonardo DiCaprio in Django Unchained, as a derogatory word popular in the period of the film, it helps identify his character as a hateful racist. How damaging to the art of filmmaking it would be if he were prevented from saying it in the film. When young blacks use it in a "friendly way," I'm saddened. I think they hurt their own images by using the word this way; I certainly wouldn't want to hire anyone who referred to anyone else as "my nigga." And finally, when someone uses the term to try to hurt someone else, I don't think it should be illegal, but if they are punched in the mouth, and the case comes before a court, I think the judge should consider it a wash and throw the case out. Mr. A used a hurtful word in anger, Mr. B used a hurtful fist in return anger, let's call it a wash. Case dismissed.
coldjoint

0  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 10:52 am
@FBM,
You only wish you had the power to offend me.

Why would you say that? Get the **** over it.

Frank Apisa

3  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 11:08 am
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

In an ideal world we will

Lotta real good stuff here in this post, BB.

The stuff that was not good...was excellent!
hawkeye10

1  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 11:45 am
@Frank Apisa,
Under that theory when a wife verbally abuses her husband and in return he punches her out the case would be a wash and he would throw it out. It does not work like that. we dont consider verbal abuse ( which in intimate relationship is almost always also emotional abuse) to be on par with physical abuse. I see no value in carving out an exception for using the word nigger. But if we are going to do this lets get Ray Rice back on the field immediately, the case is a wash we are told.
Frank Apisa

1  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 11:50 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Under that theory when a wife verbally abuses her husband and in return he punches her out the case would be a wash and he would throw it out. It does not work like that. we dont consider verbal abuse ( which in intimate relationship is almost always also emotional abuse) to be on par with physical abuse. I see no value in carving out an exception for using the word nigger.

I'm sure there are lots of things you do not see, Hawk.

Some of them are very evident.

hawkeye10

1  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:12 pm
@Frank Apisa,
I see the advocacy for the state to consider vocal aggression to be equal to physical aggression, which was the point I commented on. As for any other points made I have made no claims.
Frank Apisa

4  
Thu 13 Nov, 2014 12:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Okay. But your question has been answered..and none of that other stuff seems to play into it.