17

Is Nigger an OK Word to Use?

Krumple

3  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:35 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

This gets to the point that Firefly has been making for years, she claims that I am an asshole with bad ideas since I insist upon using "offensive" words, and that is complete bullshit. I am one of the last guys standing who has had enough education (thankfully never having been all the way poisoned by the "Education System") who still knows what the good life is built upon. I am walking the streets with a lot of brain dead idiots, many of whom are sure that they are educated. Sometimes I just want to SCREAM.

For you it might be irrational to get emotionally built up over a word. But I find it ironic that you now sight "brain dead idiots" who make you want to scream.

Don't you see that racially charged words do exactly the same thing? I find it ironic because the word that you have chosen to discuss actually means "ignorant fool" the "brain dead idiot" parallel.

It is obvious that you are wanting to stir up the pot. Because normally people would let something like this go without any need to keep sparking the fire and stoking the flames.

You are like the person who after they put out the house fire, keep asking the firemen to pour some gas on it. Feel the need to completely burn it to the ground. Probably because you are racially charged and want to still inflict pain on others. That is just my hunch but I'm probably right, otherwise there is no rational motivation to attempt to request neutralizing a racially charged word.
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:38 pm
@Krumple,
Here is the solution: dont care so much about race. It is a colossal waste of your time and mine , and it pegs you as a moron. I REFUSE to bring myself down to your level.

EDIT: BTW you might want to question why you never hear such wisdom from the so called elite. If you investigate you will find that they are some seriously ignorant dishonest mother fuckers.
Krumple

2  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 10:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

Maybe it's just that, your lack of caring has prevented you from seeing it as a racially charged word that causes problems. Do we really need a word with so much baggage? Why not leave it alone and let it get placed in the books of offensive words that should be avoided. I'm sure you can get through a year without needing to use it. Let it go and it will naturally over time dissipate on it's own.
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 11:08 pm
@Krumple,
Maybe it's just that, your lack of caring has prevented you from seeing it as a racially charged word that causes problems

Damn right I know, and I tell them " get better, we have serious problems to deal with so we dont have time for your idiocy. NEXT!" Ignorance and stupidity can not be pandered to, not now at least, and probably not ever. I care about more important things than archaic ideas about race , because I am better educated than most.

Why not leave it alone
OK, lets pretend that you did not understand the first time I explained it.......

Banana Breath

1  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 11:40 pm
I'm joining the conversation late and scanned a few pages but don't have the patience to read 21 pages of backbiting, so forgive me if this has been mentioned.
President Obama used the N word in an interview recently.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/06/22/politics/barack-obama-n-word-race-relations-marc-maron-interview/
In that context (talking about racism) he felt it was appropriate to use, knowing his words would be public and scrutinized. Now as a man of mixed race, is this only half appropriate to use? Should his black half be mad at his white half for saying it?
Personally I feel that all the fuss over a word has the wrong effect, it gives it greater power rather than taming it. Popular black music/culture in recent years has done much to tame the word, as friends can say "my nigga" and not get punched. The real question is where we go from there. To say it's only ok for blacks to say creates a new racial division where none had existed before. OUR vocabulary, YOUR vocabulary, it is ever so much like the separate water fountains and back-of-the-bus culture of the days of segregation. And it's racist in assuming that there are only two possibilities, white or black, not mixed race persons such as Mr. Obama.
Banning the word, punishing those who use it, makes it oh so powerful for someone to use when they are pretty sure nobody but their intended target will hear it.
Look what happened with the word "suck" for an interesting comparison. Several decades ago, saying "John sucks" was a grave insult, suggesting he was (gasp) homosexual, not only emasculating a man, but claiming he was a felon. Saying it to his face would get you a punch in the nose. Today however, you can buy "Cleveland Sucks" T-shirts on Amazon, and hear "John Cena Sucks" on broadcast television, frankly nobody cares, and the words carry no more meaning can saying "I am not a supporter of John Cena."

Personally I think virtually any words can be used hatefully, and that hatred doesn't arise from the lexicon itself. Hateful, narrow-minded people tend to have smaller vocabularies, not larger ones. If you want to change things for the better, rather than limiting the vocabulary of non-racist individuals, I believe it's better that we endeavor to teach tolerance to one's children and anyone else who will listen. We should all take it upon ourselves to avoid lashing out in hate (and of course especially based on meaningless traits such as race), and when we encounter hateful words hurled by others, it's probably better that we laugh at their narrow-mindedness and limited vocabulary rather than make a fuss and demand that legislators remove this naughty naughty word from the English language. Even if they did, another would quickly pop up to take its place.
http://chaddukeswrestlingshow.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Screen-Shot-2012-01-14-at-11.07.48-AM.png
hawkeye10

-2  
Tue 23 Jun, 2015 11:53 pm
@Banana Breath,
Blah, Blah, Blah,,,,hate is a natural human emotion....if the language cant or is not allowed to reflect hate than the language fails to do its job.
Banana Breath

2  
Wed 24 Jun, 2015 12:32 am
@hawkeye10,
Perhaps you should review the definition of "hate speech"
It is not "hawkeye10 hates doing his homework"
If someone were shouting in your face that they're going to cut your children into pieces and feed them to pigs, you'd recognize a line has been crossed.
hawkeye10

-2  
Wed 24 Jun, 2015 12:53 am
@Banana Breath,
Banana Breath wrote:

Hate Speech most certainly is not defined as threatening to do harm to actual real people, if it were flying the confederate flag would not be considered to be hate speach. Neither would claiming to live ones life according to the Bible.

NEXT!

Stupid people should shut the **** up, listen, and try to learn,

Now that is HATE SPEECH.
Banana Breath

3  
Wed 24 Jun, 2015 12:15 pm
@hawkeye10,
Once a curmudgeon troll, always a curmudgeon troll. Crawl back into your cave, nasty troll, you don't understand the thread and aren't qualified to talk with grown up humans.
http://images.huffingtonpost.com/2010-05-13-files_troll_2.jpg
Olivier5

2  
Wed 24 Jun, 2015 02:16 pm
@Banana Breath,
Don't speak bad to Hawk, he's my nigger.

hawkeye10

0  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 02:05 pm
Hulk Hogan is out at WWE because he talked about his daughter liking niggers in a sex tape many years ago, a tape that he did not make public.

Here we go, be very careful about who you talk to, because if you speak non approved thoughts in private you can be blackmailed and hung for those non approved words. The blackmail of Roger Sterling was just the beginning, and that working so well will encourage a lot of this.

The bullies on the Left are I am sure very pleased with themselves.

Tetty

2  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:23 pm
@roger,
I feel the same way about all derogatory words. I can't make someone who insists on using these words stop using them for reasons other than a discussion concerning the history of such words. I do however, feel it says a lot about the person who insists on using them. It tells me they look for reasons to devalue human life.
Oddly, while in many ways, our society has acknowledged most slurs to be unacceptable, there is a word of this kind that is allowed to stand as acceptable. The group this word targets is different than the other groups in that all in that group feel targeted by the word(s) and, for that reason, form a cooporation against tolerating its use. The word I'm talking about is "bitch".

For all the reasons the n-word should not be tolerated, those same reasons apply to this word. Even the use of it for men still boils down to the same ugly implications.

When trying to make a point by siting black people use it, it overlooks that within that group, often it is a word applied and used as a familiar between, most commonly, men in that group rather than, less commonly, co-ed groups. It holds true as a parallel that it's problematic; women who use the b-word for familiar female friends.

If it had never been used specifically as a derogatory slur against women, a unifide offense would have seen it placed in the same trash bin as the n-word. But because it isn't a gender neutral word, it is still acceptable to most and permitted in general.

Things that make you go hmmm....
hawkeye10

0  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 03:26 pm
@Tetty,
Intolerance towards people who dont believe as you do has a way of going very very badly over the long haul. It is worth the effort to try to let other people speak their minds freely.
Tetty

2  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
I'm starting to wonder about you.

No where, not even once, did I suggest an action of intolerance. I didn't even suggest a consequence. The closest I came was that I WOULD form a poor opinion of a person's character for using slurs. Is it your position that I should not be free to?
I haven't been here long but I've yet to see a post from you where you do not form an opinion and go on at length about that opinion. So what is this ****?
Learn
To
Read
hawkeye10

0  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:42 pm
@Tetty,
No where, not even once, did I suggest an action of intolerance.

should not be tolerated

http://able2know.org/topic/259008-21#post-5996066

Telling people that they are not to use words that you dont like is an act of intolerance.
FBM

2  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 06:45 pm
If one is sick of sickness, then one is not sick. - Lao Tzu

Tetty

2  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 08:16 pm
@hawkeye10,
Context for the slow and willfully ignorant:
In other words if one group were to decide slur A should not be tolerated then why not also slurs B, C, D etc? Clearly a statement for examination and not, as I said before, an action I am advising. I am not "a group".
Not only did you have to omit that snippet you quoted from its complete sentence, but you had to completely ignore that I said I could do nothing if someone insisted on using a slur.
So as I suggested before:
Learn
To
Read

hawkeye10

0  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 08:25 pm
@Tetty,
You both can not stop a person from using words you dont like (because the law will not yet support this action) and show your intolerance by the act of intolerance by insisting that they dont use those words.

Learn
what
words
mean.

And yes, I advocate for tolerance in communications...let people say what ever is on their minds, and if you think they are wrong and you care to then advocate for your beliefs. BUT, they are your equals and dont you forget to treat them as such buster, otherwise **** off.
hawkeye10

0  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 09:29 pm
@hawkeye10,
It has not escaped my notice that the intolerant always are sure that they are right, and they always think that their acts against others are justified.

it was always thus, and always thus it will be.

Give me rather someone who will keep quiet and listen to me. I will attempt to return the civility.
Tetty

1  
Sat 25 Jul, 2015 10:45 pm
@hawkeye10,
All you try to do is explain to me exactly what I just said only with a pointlessly shitty attitude. There is no reason to listen to you.

First, because you are no one.
And second, because you can't read well enough to realize I said, admittedly with more tact and less like a puffed up ass than you, damn near the same thing.

I'm done with this nonsense.