17

Is Nigger an OK Word to Use?

3  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:49 pm
@ehBeth,
Well, it certainly identifies oneself and lets others know where you are coming from.
ehBeth

1  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:52 pm
@roger,
yup

I was thinking of warning whackeye to stay away from my neighbourhood since Joe and Harold don't mind doing a bit of time for assault once in a while, but I decided he can learn that on his own.

hawkeye10

-2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:52 pm
@FBM,
Given the fact that both you and I and anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the past few decades knows how offensive that word is, we'd be going out of our way to offend if we chose to say it

Your theory and claims seem to be a great odds with the claim from others that the word is increasingly in use. If the word is indeed increasingly in use then you are certainly wrong.
FBM

4  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:56 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I don't care whose words my claim is at odds with. You'd have to be deaf, dumb and blind not to know that it's a racially charged, derogatory and offensive term. Was it any less offensive in the 50's and 60's when it was common parlance by Southern whites? You're working backwards to rationalize a justification for your preferred conclusion, and it's transparent.
hawkeye10

-3  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:00 pm
@FBM,

Word definitions and appropriateness of use change with time. The question on the table is this: are those who are offended by its use out of date like some still are with the word slut?

I have not made up my mind, but the fact that I use the word regularly with those that I know and trust means that I think this word should be pulled off the scrap heap.

FBM

5  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:08 pm
@hawkeye10,
And the fact that you only use it with people you know and trust indicates that you are aware of its offensive nature.
coldjoint

-2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:17 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why would anybody want to use that odious word?

That word is going nowhere. It is used commonly among Blacks.

2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:18 pm
@FBM,
I pretty much grew up in the South. Mid fifties through early sixties. I was somewhat surprised to hear the better classes use the word "Nigras". We moved to Central and later South Florida in time to enter the 5th grade. There were lots of cultural shocks.
ehBeth

2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:18 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

so use it with your staff and customers

McGentrix

3  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:24 pm
OK to use? no. Should it be banned? No. I think there is context where it is perfectly fine to be used. But, that context better be damn good.

I am also not comfortable with the use of a whole slew of vulgarity but I'd never consider a ban on them. I just don't allow me or mine to use such vocabulary.

FBM

5  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:29 pm
@roger,
roger wrote:

Same here. Deep South, no less. I had the good sense to remove that word from my vocabulary sometime around junior high school, if I recall correctly.

hawkeye10

-2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:41 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

Of course, any good communicator modulates his words with his intended audience in mind. I use nigger much more liberally since I spent three years working in Ft Lewis Mess Halls with a lot of middle aged Tacoma blacks, who used the word nigger constantly at work. Kitchens tend to be a place where everything all hangs out, there are no secrets and there is no effort to censor language. I used to party with these niggers somewhat regularly, getting stoned and fucked up on Colt 45 while eating southern cooking from their mamma's, the word long ago for me lost any shock value and most of its negative meaning. These guys I trusted, I used the word around them at work but not around their kids and mamma's, who might have wondered what this white guy was doing using the word.

3  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 10:48 pm
My mother grew up in Oklahoma and Texas. She never used that word once, in my recollection. She told me a few stories of when she was young, such as a time she was embarrassed, because, riding a bus, there was just one empty seat, when a black woman got on. The white man in the seat next to it made her stand. I never had an example before me, of racist language, until I began school.
hawkeye10

-2  
Sun 9 Nov, 2014 11:46 pm
Lyndon Johnson was a civil rights hero. But also a racist.

The Civil Rights Act made it possible for Johnson to smash Jim Crow. The Voting Rights Act made the U.S. government accountable to its black citizens and a true democracy for the first time. Johnson lifted racist immigration restrictions designed to preserve a white majority – and by extension white supremacy. He forced FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover, then more concerned with “communists” and civil rights activists, to turn his attention to crushing the Ku Klux Klan. Though the Fair Housing Act never fulfilled its promise to end residential segregation, it was another part of a massive effort to live up to the ideals America’s founders only halfheartedly believed in – a record surpassed only by Abraham Lincoln.

http://www.msnbc.com/msnbc/lyndon-johnson-civil-rights-racism

I see, so in several hundred years only one white man had done more for niggers than Johnson, but because he talked to insiders in private about getting the "nigger" vote he is a racist???

clearly the word racism has no meaning anymore. Good to know.

1  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 04:55 am
@edgarblythe,
Try teaching Of Mice And Men or To Kill A Mocking Bird, without using it.

4  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 05:28 am
Literature can be explained. That doesn't make the language acceptable for every day use. And Lyndon Johnson was a product of a racist background, growing into a time when Jim Crow was being taken down, temporarily. As a politician, he was both racist and non racist. But he is dead and uses no words these days.

1  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 05:31 am
@edgarblythe,
I agree with you there.

engineer

6  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 06:18 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

You have no more right to claim that I should not use the word nigger because you dont like it than you have to demand that I dont have anchovies on my pizza because you dont like the smell of fish. If you dont like the environment of the room that you are in, in either smell or language, then move yourself.

Unless I'm the boss and it is my workplace. Then I have a responsibility (at least to myself) to establish a workplace that I think produces the best results. If that means getting rid of employees who can't interact well with the customers or fellow employees, so be it. If you were a reporter, you would be expected to write in good English without profanity. If you are in the workplace, you would be expected to meet standards of conduct and dress. This isn't any different. You are welcome to use nigger in your private life or at your business, but you can't insist that I allow it in mine. You are saying your "right" to use any language you want trumps my right to run my business.

engineer

7  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 06:22 am
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

The word is not increasingly in use, dramatically the opposite. Hailing from a part of the country where it was once used constantly, I have seen its use drop dramatically as those who grew up with it have died out. In the 65+ crowd, you will still here it but even there most people have learned to keep their bigotry under control. They use other code words now.

engineer

5  
Mon 10 Nov, 2014 06:24 am
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

True, context is everything. I'm sure a stranger would not be so enthusiastic about you using it. There is also an aspect of "when in Rome..." here. You say you were in a community where it was used frequently. Ok, but in a wider community, it is not the norm and if offensive. Just has you conformed in the tight community to achieve success, you would have to do the same in the wider community. That said, no one is going to arrest you if you use it, so feel free.