14

Is Nigger an OK Word to Use?

Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:49 pm
This according to a NYT's headline

The NFL banned it. The NAACP once gave it a “funeral.”
But, if anything, it is the very notion of banning the n-word
that today appears dead and fit for burial.

Blacks for sure often use the word, but some claim that only blacks should be allowed to use it, which according to me is BS.

My opinion is that words should never be banned, and that nigger is a lot like the word slut, it has been reclaimed and should no longer be considered a negative word.

What say you?
Type: Discussion • Score: 14 • Views: 17,025 • Replies: 429

imimpatientforanswer

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:52 pm
@hawkeye10,
Is Nigger an OK Word to Use?

No
hawkeye10

-2  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 06:56 pm
@imimpatientforanswer,
No

Why? Does these apply to everyone?

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 07:47 pm
@hawkeye10,
I would say it does. You are probably thinking of Blacks' use of the word, and that is unacceptable as well.

Now, if we are discussing the use of the word nigger, I feel it is acceptable. It's never acceptable when applied to a person or ethnic group.
engineer

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:19 pm
@hawkeye10,
I don't think anyone can stop you from using it if you want. I wouldn't recommend it.
CalamityJane

3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:26 pm
We used the term in German without having any thoughts good or bad to it.
We have an old children song "10 little niggers" - we used to call a popular
candy "nigger heads". Black people were called "Neger" in German and everyone used it. No one took offense!

Now the United States has a different history towards black people and they
consider the term derogatory. They were called nigger in the old days when they were slaves and considered lower class. Naturally, black people today do not want to be called this term. Why on earth they call each other nigger is beyond my comprehension, but I would not use it to define black people.

I also don't understand why blacks use the term "African-American". Why do they feel the need to distinguish themselves from being plain American.
Now when I call myself German-American, it translates (in my book)
to me being German born, but living in America. Hardly any of the blacks who call themselves African-American were born in Africa, have no ties to Africa, most likely never been to Africa, but insist to use the term. Why?

hawkeye10

-3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:36 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:

If I was a journalist my boss would. I did not read the article but it is highly unlikely that the word was used even once, even though the entire piece was about that word. this hyper sensitivity to word choice that we Americans have developed is certainly highly annoying. Is there anyone other than Americans and those living under totalitarian regimes that have to put up with this nonsense?
FBM

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 08:58 pm
In principle, hawkeye, I agree that words shouldn't be banned or claimed by any subset of culture. Nevertheless, it's not uncommon to be undone by a too-strong adherence to principles. I wouldn't use it merely for the practical reason that I don't want to piss people off. I'm not a doucebag, or at least, I try not to act like one.

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:02 pm
Why would anybody want to use that odious word? It has a history of lynching and other forms of murder and torture behind it, in this country. There are quite a few words that could serve without hearkening to the days of Jim Crow and slavery. Why must the ignorant usage of it by some make it okay?
engineer

5  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:02 pm
@hawkeye10,
Your boss would be looking out for the profitability of the paper and using words that a large majority of the population find offensive would not be a wise move. Businesses look out for their own interests all the time. I don't see many salespeople using colorful language and this is no different. Nothing stopping you from using on your own though or even using it at your restaurant.
hawkeye10

-3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:02 pm
@FBM,
FBM wrote:

I have over time developed an aversion to letting the queasiest person in the room dictate the behavior of everyone else. Too many objections makes me think that alleged offense is being used as an overt power play, and weak people need to develop some stamina.

BTW: I have the same problem with the Anti-Bullying statutes that are increasingly being written into the criminal code.
hawkeye10

-3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:06 pm
@edgarblythe,
Why would anybody want to use that odious word?

I ask the same question about why would anyone want to drink a pumpkin spice latte. That crap is disgusting.

Why must the ignorant usage of it by some make it okay?

so your theory is that these blacks running around calling all their buddies niggers dont know about Jim Crow laws and slavery? Call me skeptical.

hawkeye10

-3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:19 pm
@engineer,
Your boss would be looking out for the profitability of the paper and using words that a large majority of the population find offensive would not be a wise move
that does not work for me, if you find the word offensive then dont use it, but dont try to claim that you have any say in the words that come out of my mouth because you dont. You have no more right to claim that I should not use the word nigger because you dont like it than you have to demand that I dont have anchovies on my pizza because you dont like the smell of fish. If you dont like the environment of the room that you are in, in either smell or language, then move yourself. That is the remedy that is open to you, the only right one you have. Well that, and sucking it up and letting other people be free in the hope that they will allow you to be free. "I'm offended!" is not your make everyone else do what you want them to do card. I say go ahead and be offended if you have to be, and thank you for telling me so that I know, but I am not going to change who I am or censor myself to make you happy, and you are wrong to expect me to do so.
ehBeth

3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:23 pm
@hawkeye10,
you can use it all you like

let us know how it goes
ehBeth

3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:24 pm
@engineer,
engineer wrote:
Nothing stopping you from using on your own though or even using it at your restaurant.

exactly

hawkeye10

-3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:28 pm
@ehBeth,
ehBeth wrote:

you can use it all you like

let us know how it goes

as you know I do and I am pretty happy with the results. It makes it easy to weed out those who are not interested in freedom or truth. I have no time for idiots or timid people, life is too short to **** around, talking straight saves a lot of time. The point of this thread is more asking if it is time to lift the restrictions on this word in societal discourse, if the prohibition has outlasted its usefulness and become silly.
FBM

7  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:39 pm
@hawkeye10,
hawkeye10 wrote:

I'm not thinking about the weakest or queasiest person in the room. But even if I were, I wouldn't go out of my way to act like a doucebag to them just because they were weak or queasy. Given the fact that both you and I and anyone who hasn't been living in a cave for the past few decades knows how offensive that word is, we'd be going out of our way to offend if we chose to say it. Do what you like, of course, and I hope you don't get hurt too bad.
bobsal u1553115

6  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:41 pm
@hawkeye10,
**** you, you already know its wrong.

bobsal u1553115

3  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:42 pm
@engineer,
On second thought, I encourage him to say it really loud and often.

ehBeth

2  
Reply Sun 9 Nov, 2014 09:48 pm
@hawkeye10,
If your customers don't mind then there's no problem. right?