seatbelts on schoolbusses

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 02:22 pm
I was interested in starting a petition for seatbelts on the school busses at Revere Public Schools. I received a lot of positivity at my idea, but also a little bit of Negativity. What do you guys think? Please reply, I will respond!!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 8 • Views: 532 • Replies: 12
No top replies

contrex

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:07 pm
Why can't Americans spell buses properly? Anyhow research suggests that seat belts don't provide very much protection in the bigger school buses, and they are compulsory in buses under 10,000 lbs weight.
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:32 pm
@cdog121201,
First of all without seat belts school buses have one of the very best safety record of any class of motor vehicles by passenger miles. The last I look they are safer then private cars with seat belts and airbags.

Next depending on the age of the students you are going to add a great deal to the burden for the drivers to monitor the used of those belts.

Perhaps reducing the overall safety of the bus by giving the driver another duty while driving.
0 Replies

contrex

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 03:55 pm
The kids wriggle out of them. Personally I would hate to be a school bus driver. They have to have the patience of a saint and get a lot of pressure.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:30 pm
@cdog121201,
If that is what you want to do, then do it. Don't let negative opinions squash your voice or your efforts to be heard. I can't think of any downsides to letting your voice be heard on issues of importance to you.

Have you considered making a presentation at a school board or city council meeting? Do some research to include statistics, costs and benefits for this change in your presentation. Write a letter or opinion column for your local newspaper too.
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:33 pm
@Butrflynet,
Quote:
Don't let negative opinions squash your voice

He ask our opinions and we gave him our opinions so what is your problem?
roger

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:38 pm
@BillRM,
Why, an opposing opinion, of course.

I bet the drivers would love seatbelts if they could only be unlocked from the central consol.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 05:47 pm
@BillRM,
I have no problem. He said he had an idea about doing a petition and had received both positive and negative commentary. Please note he had already said this BEFORE any subsequent opinions were posted, not after..

I was responding to his opening post. What was posted by others is immaterial to what I wrote to encourage him to exercise his voice.

Considering I hadn't, and still haven't read them, it had nothing to do with anything you or anyone else wrote.
0 Replies

Lustig Andrei

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 06:21 pm
@cdog121201,
Personally, I'm against your proposal. But, since I no longer live in Massachusetts and have never resided in Revere, my opinion is completely without merit. You should continue to do whatever you consider to be right.
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 07:24 pm
Seatbelts are unneeded, and would cause more negative consequences than positive. Lets save crusading for actual problems MKay?
0 Replies

oralloy

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 09:53 pm
@contrex,
contrex wrote:
Anyhow research suggests that seat belts don't provide very much protection in the bigger school buses,

That sounds counterintuitive.

It might be true, but... does the research say why this is?
BillRM

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:08 pm
Going away from seat belts for a moment I used to have a school bus driver who was so short that he needed to have blocks of wood on the brake and gas pedals.

His name also happen to be John so the whole bus would from time to time break out into the song Big Bad John.

As you might have guess the man was love by the kids and it a very nice memory of mine going back to the mid to early 1960s.

http://www.boyscouttrail.com/content/music/bigbadjohn.wav

Quote:
He stood six foot six and weighed two forty five
Kinda broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip
And everybody knew ya didn't give no lip to Big John.
Big John
Big Jooooooohn
Big Bad John

Nobody seemed to know where John called home
He just drifted into town and stayed all alone
He didn't say much, kinda quiet and shy
And if you spoke at all, you just said "Hi" to Big John.

Somebody said he came from New Orleans
Where he got in a fight over a Cajun Queen
And a crashin' blow from a huge right hand
Sent a Lousiana fella to the Promised Land - Big John
Big John
Big Jooooooohn
Big Bad John

Then came the day at the bottom of the mine
When a timber cracked and men started cryin'
Miners were prayin' and hearts beat fast
Everybody thought that they'd breathed their last-'cept John

Through the dust and the smoke of this man-made hell
Walked a giant of a man that the miners knew well
Grabbed a saggin' timber, gave out with a groan
And like a giant oak tree he just stood there alone - Big John
Big John
Big Jooooooohn
Big Bad John

With all of his strength he gave a mighty shove
Then a miner yelled out "There's a light up above!"
And twenty men scrambled from a would-be grave
Now there's only one left down there to save - Big John

With jacks and timbers they started back down
Then came that rumble way down in the ground
And then smoke and gas belched out of that mine
Everybody knew it was the end of the line for Big John
Big John
Big Jooooooohn
Big Bad John

Now they never reopened that worthless pit
They just placed a marble stand in front of it
These few words are written on that stand
At the bottem of this mine lies a big, big man - Big John
Big John
Big Jooooooohn
Big Bad John
0 Replies

hawkeye10

Reply Thu 30 Oct, 2014 10:51 pm
@oralloy,
Quote:
It might be true, but... does the research say why this is?

because there is less bodily injury bouncing between two koshy seats that are close together and the other kids then being squished between a seat and a seatbelt. Kids bodies are much more fragile then adults, belts are really not good for them. Then their is the whole business of belts being REALLY not good for kids if they are not properly adjusted. They would probably need a whole new person on each bus to make sure that all the belts are on and on correctly.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » seatbelts on schoolbusses
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/03/2024 at 06:36:51