Planes crashing into buildings

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:20 pm
It's a weird thing. Ever since 9-11, whenever I look up in the sky on a sunny day and see a jet, I picture it plunging into a nearby building. It's not like a scary thing or a traumatic thing, it's just the first image that comes to my mind now, everytime.

I was just wondering whether this is a New York thing, or if other people have this kind of thing happen to them.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 750 • Replies: 17
No top replies

dlowan

Reply Thu 27 May, 2004 11:48 pm
Prolly not so much, but it is there.

'Tis for me, anyway. Seeing it so many times, I guess.

Thing that got me was how the buildings seemed to sort of embrace the jets - it was a bit (from afar, on video) as though they were diving into water.

Just for a moment.

That is the image that I have....
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 12:00 am
A lot of images reverberate in life. I don't want to go into excruciating detail on you and elaborate on mine, but yes, they repeat. I won't say it makes life richer, exactly, for obvious reasons, but these big resonances and many other small ones make up some of the padding around mature vision. Perhaps as opposed to childlike vision.

Each of these have good attributes.
0 Replies

drom et reve

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:30 am
I see that, often; and when I hear big crashes in the night, I-- for some reason-- assume that it's an aeroplane crashing into a building;very scary indeed. Half of warfare seems to be the fear that it implants.
0 Replies

CerealKiller

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 02:41 am
I think you should go back to fantasizing about co-workers. Laughing
0 Replies

Heeven

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:10 am
I work in one of the tallest buildings in Boston and when I am in one of those conference rooms with huge floor to ceiling windows and see an airplane (the airport is close by) or even a chopper, I watch it like a hawk to see if it's coming too close. I have visualized an aircraft crashing into our building and I have all the exits checked out.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:16 am
Emus and tall buildings don't mix.
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:24 am
I believe they are finding it very difficult to get tenants for the top floors of London's newest landmark, the Erotic Gherkin.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:27 am
Kicky, I still sometimes watch planes' trajectories a little nervously. I had never realized before 9-11 that on bad-weather days, Logan air traffic comes over my house. Also, when I can see the Prudential from afar as I can from Belmont and Winchester, I often think of it with a plane flying into it. Spooky. Those twin tower planes took off from Boston, I imagine it would have been easier (though less emphatic) for the planes to be flown into sites here rather than in NYC.
0 Replies

Synonymph

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:40 am
Wednesday night around 4:00, a very loud plane woke me. Unbelievably loud. It sounded like it was passing over faster than planes usually sound. I jumped out of bed, went to the window and said "Don't crash don't crash don't crash."
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:05 am
I have a fair amount of air traffic over my house, and the first thing I always think when I see one is "It looks just like a missle."

<shrug>

My first plane trip after 9/11 was awful. Since then I've taken several. Last time there were two Indian men and an Arab woman sitting almost equidistant from each other as we waited for the plane (~20 feet away from each other). I kept a close eye on them. What made me quit, aside from convincing myself for some reason that they were fine, was the idea that Gautam would be so pissed if it was him. (I was being subtle, but...)

And no, nothing happened.
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:31 am
Soz, I hate when I do that. It's so totally unfair and so hard to quit doing.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:33 am
Yep.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 08:59 pm
I was on an airplane last week and there were a couple of women from Boston and Wisconsin sitting across the aisle from me.

Scared the hell out of me.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:03 pm
And, then, and then, and then what happened, Gus???
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 09:59 pm
We did very bad scary things to him. I think one involved a padlock.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 28 May, 2004 10:24 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

McTag

Reply Sat 29 May, 2004 03:07 am
sozobe wrote:
My first plane trip after 9/11 was awful. Since then I've taken several. Last time there were two Indian men and an Arab woman sitting almost equidistant from each other as we waited for the plane (~20 feet away from each other). I kept a close eye on them. What made me quit, aside from convincing myself for some reason that they were fine, was the idea that Gautam would be so pissed if it was him. (I was being subtle, but...)

And no, nothing happened.

Quite common, understandable, human nature, and regrettable.

Doonesbury made it the subject of a funny cartoon strip about a year (?) ago, on the subject of "profiling".

Don't forget, Timothy McVeigh had freckles. Not that that'll make you feel any better at the airport.

Happy Landings. McT
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Planes crashing into buildings
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 01:30:39