Heating elements in my appliances all stopped working.

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 05:55 pm
My dryer, stove, microwave, water heater, have all had the heating elements fail today, they simply don't work. The lights in the house seem dim too. The appliances still have the displays working, but no heating elements. Help!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 667 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:09 pm
@michl009,
All of them? really? Never heard of such a thing. Sounds like house voltage is being affected. I'd call the electric company.

In theory, if the house voltage from the electric company was VERY low (below 100V AC), you might have some issues...but doubtfully all the heating elements failing at once is incredible.

How is your refrigerator and/or your a/c unit working?

Was there e a recent power surge or power loss , or hit from lightning?
michl009

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:21 pm
@Ragman,
Thanks for the response Ragman. I know it sounds crazy, but they have all failed today.

The refrigerator seems to be working fine, and we don't have a/c. The lights were dim earlier, but seem better now. I check my circuit breaker and nothing had popped. There have been no power surges that I am aware of.

I did call the electrical company and they will be here within the next two days. (they don't consider this a power outage, or they would be here sooner).

Is there anything else in the house that I can check?
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:31 pm
Check the breakers.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:38 pm
@michl009,
Either you or someone who knows how to use it, should measure the voltages at the various power outlets to these appliances with a voltmeter on the A/C volts range.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 06:42 pm
@Ragman,
Often a breaker will trip on one side, but the other side will still be "on." Which is why you will get power, but not enough to make the appliance work. You need an electrician to find out why it would trip if you don't know the reason.
0 Replies

engineer

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 07:56 pm
@michl009,
It sounds like all the 240v devices are having issues. I think you might have a ground on one of your 120v lines. Your house has two 120v supplies and they join together to make the 240v lines. If one of them has a partial ground, you will get dim lights on one side of your breaker box, but it might not be enough to notice. The big 120v appliances and the 240v appliances will not get enough juice. If all the dim lights are on the same side of your breaker box, this is likely the problem.

Note: This is likely something outside your house and will require your power company to fix.
edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 08:25 pm
I am sure different houses have some differences. On my job, if a breaker half-trips, the stove lights will glow and the burners may get slightly warm. But that is all. Same with an A/C I worked on a few weeks back. The entire system was getting electric, but nothing worked. All I had to do was reset the breaker and it was fine. In that case, the system worked normally, with no further repairs required.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 08:47 pm
Not arguing the point. Engineer may have hit the nail on the head. Bottom line, I would get an electrician there as quickly as possible.
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 28 Sep, 2014 10:12 pm
@engineer,
A microwave is not 240 V device. It is , as all of the appliances you listed a high current device that demands lots of power. Especially telltale is that it is occurring on multiple circuits. I'll bet it is on one whole leg of the circuit breaker box, as a guess.

That being said, the electric company should still be called. This is their problem.
0 Replies

rossk1278

Reply Sun 2 Jul, 2017 12:07 pm
Same problem at a rental property yesterday. Any heating appliance (stove, WH, furnace, dryer) would not work and the other circuits were acting strange. Energy company came out last night and fixed the service outside the house. Apparently the storm a few days ago loosened a line. Very tricky, but all is well now!
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Heating elements in my appliances all stopped working.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/12/2024 at 08:29:40