Missing triage

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:47 pm
Yes I Googled it but unsuccessfully and yes I know what it means. But to save me an entire afternoon browsing, can anyone explain why I can't find the word "triage" in Webster's 1961 Collegiate
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 1 • Views: 572 • Replies: 13
No top replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:56 pm
@dalehileman,
I have no idea why you couldn't find it. i found it in Webster's online dictionary.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/triage
0 Replies

timur

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 01:58 pm
Given that you are slow as an open collector, in this times of fast information, you should use an online dictionary:

Merriam-Webster online
0 Replies

Ragman

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:03 pm
@dalehileman,
furthermore, I goggled the word 'triage' and came up with it:

https://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&aq=&oq=triage&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4ADFA_enUS433US433&q=triage&gs_l=hp....0.0.0.967...........0.
0 Replies

PUNKEY

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:33 pm
1961 dictionary?

That is a medical buzzword that has made its way into the mainstream vocabulary, but just recently. I wouldn't expect to see it in a 1961 dictionary.
Lordyaswas

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 02:57 pm
@PUNKEY,
I googled the word and found that it was a small metal musical instrument with three equal sides that makes a 'ding' noise when struck.

I think my search word may have had a typo or two.
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 04:17 pm
@PUNKEY,
Quote:
1961 dictionary? That is a medical buzzword that has made its way into the mainstream vocabulary, but just recently. I wouldn't expect to see it in a 1961 dictionary.
Thanks Punk. Makes me feel very old
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Sun 14 Sep, 2014 04:37 pm
Dale, how does it feel being like Dale from King of the Hill?
dalehileman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:29 am
@One Eyed Mind,
Thanks Mind. I presume it's a character from this animation

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=Dale+from+King+of+the+Hill

…., but can't adequately respond without further study
Sturgis

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 10:49 am
@dalehileman,
Quote:
...to save me an entire afternoon browsing, can anyone explain why I can't find the word "triage" in Webster's 1961 Collegiate

Does it matter?
Honestly, if you know what it means then what is the problem? It's not like you are going to have to show the word in the dictionary to your cousin Albert or a neighbor (or at least it's rather unlikely at best).

More on the etymology of the word however shows it going back to the 1700s.
www.etymonline.com/index.php?term=triage
Quote:
1727, "action of assorting according to quality," from French triage "a picking out, sorting" (14c.), from Old French trier "to pick, cull" (see try (v.)). There seems to be some influence from or convergence with Latin tria "three" (as in triage for "coffee beans of the third or lowest quality"). In World War I, adopted for the sorting of wounded soldiers into groups according to the severity of their injuries, from French use.
First of all, the wounded man, or "blessé, is carried into the first of the so-called "Salles de Triage" or sorting wards. Here his name and regimental number, and if he is in condition to give it, the address of his family are taken; .... Then a hasty look-over from the surgeon sends him into one of the two other "Salles de Triage" -- that of the "Petits Blessés" if he is only slightly wounded and that of the "Grands Blessés" if he is more severely so. [Woods Hutchinson, M.D., "The Doctor in War," Boston, 1918]

Add-on:
Quote:
...early 18th century: from French, from trier ‘separate out.’ The medical sense dates from the 1930s, from the military system of assessing the wounded on the battlefield.

So medically it's been around for a while and should be in a '61 dictionary (although those collegiate folk may have felt it wasn't necessary or had a beef with words of French origin)
dalehileman

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 11:21 am
@Sturgis,
Quote:
...why I can't find the word "triage" in Webster's 1961 Collegiate

Quote:
Does it matter?
Yea Stur, I'm compulsive

Quote:
Honestly, if you know what it means then what is the problem?
That I's astounded not to find it as of 1961, to me just yesterday

Quote:
More on the etymology of the word however shows it going back to the 1700s....and should be in a '61 dictionary
Reason for my astonishment
0 Replies

One Eyed Mind

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 06:38 pm
@dalehileman,
I kid, Dale.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 15 Sep, 2014 06:55 pm
Your dictionary is too small. Triage is in my parents' old dictionary, Webster's New International Dictionary, Second Edition, Unabridged, 1934. Same answers as others gave you.
dalehileman

Reply Tue 16 Sep, 2014 10:06 am
@ossobuco,
Quote:
...too small...Same answers as others gave you.
Yea Oss and thanks but I'm nonetheless still surprised. The 1961 Collegiate in fact weighs in at 48.05 oz
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Missing triage
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/07/2024 at 10:50:16