Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 05:20 pm
I'm a student nurse and I have recently read an article about safe staffing in a journal that I receive. The focus was facilities are having changes in cost reimbursement for services and as a result the facilities are reducing nursing budgets/staffing. Often the result is an increased amount of over time by staff, staff not having enough time with their patients, excessive work loads, increased start of shift fatigue and inadequately staffed units for patient acuity.

I was wondering what staffing is considered safe in other facilities? How other facilities are coping with the shortage of nursing staff? What can a staff member do to advocate for the patient?

• Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 361 • Replies: 2
No top replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 06:32 pm
@Sondra LaFleur,
In New Mexico Alzheimer's facilities, the first shift is required to have one staffer per 15 residents. That is pretty bad as 1:10 is considered pretty poor, especially considering the number of medications each person is likely receiving.

I don't know when safety is affected, nor whether these ratios apply to hospitals.
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2014 06:45 pm
@Sondra LaFleur,
I am in Mexico. I work on the Mexican Institute of Social Security, where we are always understaffed.

I work 2 years on a zonal hospital on a suburb of my city. On the emergency ward. There was supposed to be one nurse for avery 4 to 5 patients. The area was built for such volume. But they usually ended up being 20 to 1 or 30 to 1. the work loads where brutal. Many diseases where not even real emergencies but for political reasons most of the patients where admited and not redirected to the walk in clinics. All the work was finally achived due to full willpower and dedication.

There are many fails in every system, but the only thing that can surpass that difficulty is the individual quality of staff and heavy tem work.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Safe Staffing
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 05/02/2024 at 06:34:40