10

wearing a girdle all the time.

Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:09 am
Even though I'm small and have a little belly, is it necessary for me to wear a girdle all every day? People have told me it would help.

View best answer, chosen by shelly 69
Ragman
  Selected Answer

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:22 am
@shelly 69,
The people who are advising you to wear a girdle are lying to you. There's never any need to wear a girdle at all. Wearing a girdle has no physical benefit whatsoever. This is not 1970.

What can shape up your figure is doing some toning exercises and avoiding eating pasta and breads. Also learn to accept yourself, look away from fashion magazines and media influences, and like your own shape. Stop being a slave to fashion and a sheep that follows the crowd.
PUNKEY

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:29 am
Women wear Spanks or control top underwear all the time.

But why not do exercises to work on that tummy?

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:30 am
@Ragman,
ragman, while women generally don't wear girdles anymore, it is common for women to wear particular types undergarments under certain outfits that create a smooth line.

For instance, today, Spanx are a popular item to wear under clingy or form fitting (not necessarily tight) clothing, or pants to avoid underwear lines under garments.

They also prevent jiggling of parts you don't want to jiggle. Not as in how a girdle does it, just to um, hold in place gently.

Right now, I'm actually wearing a pair of mens longer legged underwear (not boxers) under a pair of pants. It's a lot cheaper than the versions made for women, and does the same thing.

1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:33 am
@PUNKEY,
PUNKEY wrote:

Because many times it's not that the tummy need to be "worked on".

When I was very underweight at one point in adulthood, at 100 lbs, and did situps every day (wasn't anorexic, was related to a different health matter), I still had a tummy under my navel.

It's the way my body is made.

One size or shape does not fit all.
Ragman

1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 07:40 am
I think of Spanx differently than a girdle. But that's just me 'cause technically, it IS a girdle.

It's possible we all might be talking to a spam bot.
luismtzzz

3  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:07 pm
@shelly 69,
I take side with Ragman.

Medicaly there is no use for a girdle. The only medical justification for them is after huge surgeries that mess with the dermic lymphatic system, like a lipectomy. With the soley function to reduce the local inflamation and congestion of debrids in the injured tissue, with the porpouse of enhance an appropiate tissue healing.

If you want o get rid of an small belly then you need to eat healthy and do core exercise. There is no easy path for a good shape. Weight lifting will shape your hips and buttocks, core exercise your belly, aerobic will improve your phisical condition.
Romeo Fabulini

-1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:10 pm
Shelley asked: Even though I'm small and have a little belly, is it necessary for me to wear a girdle all every day? People have told me it would help.

Help what? If you've got a little belly what help does it need?

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:41 pm
@Ragman,
Ragman wrote:

One thing, in case anyone is interested in buying spanx....

The one's in the stores cost an arm and a leg. I discovered that by going to their website, and doing a search (can't think off the top of my head what the search word is) you can get all the varieties of a particular product. I wanted hose that only reach to just below your knee, to wear with dress pants or capris. By doing a little searching, there was one type that was really reasonably priced. Thing was, that particular kind didn't have a lot of support, but I wasn't looking for that.

OH! Another thing, don't go by what they tell you to get by your size and weight, unless you want to be miserable. Get 2 or even 3 sizes up from that. You'll get plenty of anti-jiggle reinforcement, a smooth line, and won't strangle yourself.

1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:52 pm
@luismtzzz,
luismtzzz wrote:

If you want o get rid of an small belly then you need to eat healthy and do core exercise. There is no easy path for a good shape.

I understand what you're saying for a lot of people, who actually need to make changes, but I also know you realize that's not the case for everyone.

I'm talking about the kind of belly that is a small amount of fat, in the front, below the navel. That's the feature I have, and weight or fitness level have nothing to do with it.
I would literally have to be liposuctioned to remove it, and no way would I ever do that.

I'm saying this as a PSA for anyone (particularly women) who stress because they have a body part whose presence they inherited from a parent.

I'm talking about like in the picture on the left. The one on the right is after surgery of some type.

When the woman looked like she did in the left panel, she could have lost any amount of weight, exercised, but I think she would always have that little pooch of lower tummy. Maybe a little smaller, but not much.

BTW, I think she looks fine in the first photo, and wonder what drives people to go through the expense, pain and risk to get rid of maybe a pound of a little fat.

http://www.trueformtummytuck.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/Consistent-Skin.jpg
neologist

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:53 pm
@shelly 69,
You may have anterior pelvic tilt, a common condition in our modern world.
Weakened abdominal muscles, particularly the psoas muscles, cause a condition that, from the side looks like sway back and bitty belly bulge. It's a condition any chiropractor, even any good personal trainer can notice with ease.

Left untreated, anterior pelvic tilt can lead to low back pain, sciatica, and numbness in the lower legs. But the remedy could be simple for cases identified early. Me? I do crunches in bunches. But, you should get an expert opinion before starting any training routine.

Most of us, IMO, could benefit from a regular crunch routine.

2  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 05:59 pm
@neologist,
neologist wrote:

That is a very good point.

luismtzzz

1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:35 pm
@chai2,
OK i just understand now. I had to look for the traslation of navel. But what you say is true.

I can not see the pictures on the pc i am right now, the server is partially blocked so i have no access.

1  
Wed 13 Aug, 2014 06:42 pm
@luismtzzz,
ombligo.

That reminds me of a cartoon character named Oblio from a movie "The Point" that was made in the 1970's.

Gilliane

-1  
Fri 18 Sep, 2015 07:40 pm
There is nothing wrong with a good girdle. I wear them all the time. You get so used to it it's like a part of yourself. It holds me up firmly all around and I like this feeling that it gives. It holds up my nylon stockings with the suspenders. Everybody still says I look great. Oh and I've been told that it's very sexy too:-)
ossobuco

1  
Fri 18 Sep, 2015 08:39 pm
@Gilliane,
You must be kidding.

Or, a girdle salesperson.

3  
Fri 18 Sep, 2015 09:11 pm
@Gilliane,
If you are wearing your girdle... what do you use to cook pancakes?
neologist

2  
Sat 19 Sep, 2015 05:19 pm
@maxdancona,
Make waffles instead
ossobuco

2  
Sat 19 Sep, 2015 05:57 pm
@neologist,
Or cellulite.

Gilliane

0  
Wed 9 Mar, 2016 04:47 pm
@ossobuco,
You have to give a girdle a chance, you have to get measured properly for one first then it's easy to get used to it - in fact it's nice and warm to wear this freezing time of the year. I find Playtex girdles the most comfy. It's amazing but after some time wearing a girdle you actually miss it when you leave it off. as it becomes so very supportive holding you up all around.
I get to wear nylon stockings too with my girdles rather than tights.
Stockings I find to be much more comfortable than tights that I found do not fit me properly throughout - especially around my middle regions. I really found tights very awkward and I thought I looked really silly putting tights on too - which can be quite an operation with one leg in and trying to get the other foot in . On the other hand I find fastening stockings onto my girdle's suspender straps to be a much easier and more dignified experience.
The tights are unhygenic around the crotch and can cause Candida to flourish with serious itching - I was really worried about that as my sister suffers dreadfully from it - brought on by her wearing tights.
My belly feels totally relaxed and held in my girdles , I usually wear the models with a firm front panel to do that. My bottom also feels and looks good in a girdle, it gives a nice hug and supports and holds me up very nicely indeed.
I have gotten used to any tightness and now only feel solidly supported and held up with a sense of well-being in a girdle. And of course it does fabulous things to my shape.
Oh and nobody can pinch my bum:-)
I simply cannot recommend it enough.