Cas9-based gene drives could be one of the most powerful technologies ever discovered by humankind

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 01:02 pm

Soon, though, scientists will begin combining gene editing with gene drives, so-called selfish genes that appear more frequently in offspring than normal genes, which have about a 50-50 chance of being passed on. With gene drives—so named because they drive a gene through a population—researchers just have to slip a new gene into a drive system and let nature take care of the rest. Subsequent generations of whatever species we choose to modify—frogs, weeds, mosquitoes—will have more and more individuals with that gene until, eventually, it’s everywhere.

Cas9-based gene drives could be one of the most powerful technologies ever discovered by humankind. “This is one of the most exciting confluences of different theoretical approaches in science I’ve ever seen,” says Arthur Caplan, a bioethicist at New York University. “It merges population genetics, genetic engineering, molecular genetics, into an unbelievably powerful tool.”

We’re not there yet, but we’re extraordinarily close. “Essentially, we have done all of the pieces, sometimes in the same relevant species.” says Kevin Esvelt, a postdoc at Harvard University and the wunderkind behind the new technology. “It’s just no one has put it all together.”

It’s only a matter of time, though. The field is progressing rapidly. “We could easily have laboratory tests within the next few months and then field tests not long after that,” says George Church, a professor at Harvard University and Esvelt’s advisor. “That’s if everybody thinks it’s a good idea.”

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/next/evolution/crispr-gene-drives/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=pbsofficial&utm_campaign=nova_next
It’s likely not everyone will think this is a good idea. “There are clearly people who will object,” Caplan says. “I think the technique will be incredibly controversial.” Which is why Esvelt, Church, and their collaborators are publishing papers now, before the different parts of the puzzle have been assembled into a working whole.

“If we’re going to talk about it at all in advance, rather than in the past tense,” Church says, “now is the time.”

“Deleterious Genes”
The first organism Esvelt wants to modify is the malaria-carrying mosquito Anopheles gambiae. While his approach is novel, the idea of controlling mosquito populations through genetic modification has actually been around since the late 1970s.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 304 • Replies: 5
No top replies

luismtzzz

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 02:31 pm
@edgarblythe,
The marvels of science. What an age to live!!!

I can imagine enabling the actual dwendling populations of anphibians of the world the capacity to surivive to the disease that has been destroying their population.

Or protecting the current populations on Tazmanin demons dying of cancer.

How about an entire generation of humans born with the mutant receptor that protects 100 percent getting infected of HIV.

..........................................................................................

Edgar, had you read Inferno by Dan Brown? (I now it is not great literature but i am quite fan of scientific historical thrillers) To get to my point i have to spoil part of the plot. The villian releases a viral vector that causes a type of pandemia that induces one third of the world population to became unfertile.

I now that it can sound kind of monstrous. But imagine how our world would improve if we could have a randomized genetically based birth control system that ensures that we won´t cause our selfdestruction by overpopulation. I know this is kind of maquiavelic. And is far more sinister than other simpler applications of the Cas9-based gene drives.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:02 pm
I haven't read Dan Brown.
Used judiciously, the technology can be one of the greatest boons to the world. In the wrong hands, the reverse is true.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:26 pm
@edgarblythe,
and who's going to choose which hands are the right hands? .... Monsanto maybe.

They're running the show now.

Would I trust them?, would I ****.
edgarblythe

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:36 pm
@eurocelticyankee,
It's hard to trust the people who ought to be the most trustworthy these days.
eurocelticyankee

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 03:43 pm
@edgarblythe,
There's just something missing in these corporations, oh yeah, humanity.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Cas9-based gene drives could be one of the most powerful technologies ever discovered by humankind
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/28/2024 at 08:59:50