Vantablack the blackest black, and it's here.

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 03:08 pm
In today's Independent.

Quote:
A British company has produced a "strange, alien" material so black that it absorbs all but 0.035 per cent of visual light, setting a new world record. To stare at the "super black" coating made of carbon nanotubes – each 10,000 times thinner than a human hair – is an odd experience. It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing. Shapes and contours are lost, leaving nothing but an apparent abyss.

If it was used to make one of Chanel's little black dresses, the wearer's head and limbs might appear to float incorporeally around a dress-shaped hole.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/blackest-is-the-new-black-scientists-have-developed-a-material-so-dark-that-you-cant-see-it-9602504.html
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,666 • Replies: 6
No top replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 04:01 pm
@izzythepush,
Interesting. Its gonna be damned expensive no? I was thinking of having truck fender flairs and skirting to act as a scratch guard.

A really dense "Black hole" black, would be very cool.
Lordyaswas

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 04:28 pm
@farmerman,
I'm planning on graphene for my next car.

No parking, you just roll it up and put it in your pocket.
0 Replies

izzythepush

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 05:10 pm
@farmerman,
I'm just trying to get my head round what it looks like. It throws all your perceptions about colour out of the window.

The Goths used to say they were only wearing black until something darker came along, well here it is.
Romeo Fabulini

Reply Wed 16 Jul, 2014 05:34 pm
Quote:
Article quote: It is so dark that the human eye cannot understand what it is seeing

No sweat, if you painted your walls with it and didn't like it, you could always paint over it with ordinary black paint to brighten the room up a bit
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:27 am
@izzythepush,
the trubble with nanotube tech is that , lately, health physics has recognized that these incredibly tiny "tubules" are often one atom thick and fifty long. They seem to act just like asbestos except they are incredibly stable chemically.
Weve invented yet another way to infect and inject ourselves.
izzythepush

Reply Thu 17 Jul, 2014 09:35 am
@farmerman,
Everything's got its bloody drawbacks.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Vantablack the blackest black, and it's here.
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/18/2024 at 05:08:58