Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:08 pm
Watering requirements aside, on the typical household property are found scattered areas of shallow duff consisting of dry grass, shredded leaves, and other fine vegetative substances like wood particles, usu along with a substantial amount of loose dirt. Typically such a deposit is most frequently found around the base of almost any shrub or other planting. Until just recently, somewhat slipshod I thought, if not a slight fire hazard so I'd sweep it up for disposal

However Somewhere I remember reading for instance one shouldn't sweep after mowing the lawn. So I'm wondering instead if the duff too shouldn't just be left in place to rot away, eventually replenishing any nourishment lost for future growth.

Has anyone else addressed this anomaly
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Question • Score: 2 • Views: 535 • Replies: 12
No top replies

Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:16 pm
@dalehileman,
Duff? Over in the UK, duff means useless, malfunctioning or faulty.

I have a duff TV, cooker, knee etc.

As far as organic garden rubbish is concerned, I stick it in the compost.
Grass cuttings, chopped up clippings, kitchen peelings, eggshells, you name it, we will try to compost it.

When it has been rotting down for about a year, it then gets dug into the veggie plot, or mulched around the base of shrubs and border plants to keep the moisture locked in and add structure to the soil.
tsarstepan

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:25 pm
@Lordyaswas,
In the US, Duff is the main component of Homer Simpson's and Barney Gumble's blood.

http://i61.tinypic.com/e8stuf.gif
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:45 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Sorry Lordy, but interesting you should so react. In fact it's a usage I just learned today from my Better Half, who is much smarter than I, when I asked her what such a deposit is called. It's not everyday…...

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=compost+called+%22duff%22

Quote:
As far as organic garden rubbish is concerned, I stick it in the compost.
In fact that's exactly what I had been doing also. But didn't mention this for fear of somebody responding that after it composts a bit, I should get a wheelbarrow and shovel and return it back into the ground, as you indirectly suggest
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:51 pm
@dalehileman,
You can leave it on the surface if you like, but if you shut it away with other organic bits and pieces, give it a little moisture and stir it around once in a while, it should all break down to a nice crumbly mix which will easily work its way down into your soil when applied.
If, however, you leave bone dry stuff on the surface, it will probably remain bone hard stuff for months, until it blows all over the place in a high wind.
Setanta

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 02:58 pm
In the U.S. duff refers to one's posterior, as in "Dale needs to get off his duff and post something interesting."
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 03:04 pm
@Setanta,
Interesting. I knew about the duff beer thing, but not that.

Duff also means to beat up someone. I once had a phonecall from our Vet (our cat was in for a few days to have an abscess drained), asking me to take the cat home, as he was "duffing up the nurses".
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 03:08 pm
A man once turned in a complaint there was bumble under his floor tile when he moved into his apartment. I went and took a look. Sure enough, there was very visible bumble under there. Took up the offending squares and put down new ones.
Lordyaswas

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 03:15 pm
@edgarblythe,
Bumble? Duff?

Strangerer and strangerer.
dalehileman

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 04:10 pm
@Lordyaswas,
Quote:
until it blows all over the place in a high wind.
Yea Lordy that's its most likely disposition out here in the Mojave Desert
0 Replies

luismtzzz

Reply Mon 14 Jul, 2014 07:25 pm
@dalehileman,
Natural degradation of vegetable fiber from leaves and grass after mownig is important for the nourishment of the soil because it provides a very important resource... Nitrogen.

The problem is that it can take a lot of time until the soil is nourished enough to obtain the properties needed to mantain a good garden.

Compost is a good option since it has a bigger concentration of nitrogen so it is faster. So my bet is with compost.

dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 10:28 am
@luismtzzz,
Thanks Luis, doubtless you're right, I do need to work up the necessary ambition
0 Replies

dalehileman

Reply Tue 15 Jul, 2014 10:31 am
@Lordyaswas,
Thanks for that'n Lordy

http://onelook.com/?w=Bumble&ls=a

It's not everyday…...
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » Let it lie there
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 04/27/2024 at 01:32:21