Military service tales for enlightenment and entertainment

roger

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 09:53 pm
fishin' wrote:
Not that ossifers are necessarily terrible people but, I would never wanna be one if'n ya know what I mean. Wink

Sorry about the misinformation, fishin'.

Of course ossifers are not terrible people. People have mothers. I don't know where some of those butterbars came from.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 02:49 am
roger,

We made it back form Iowa. Outside of "family dynamics" Wiyaka and I had a good time.
As it is almost 04:00 I think sleep would be a good idea.

Later. Zzzzzzzz

Sam
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 10:01 pm
I remember a new paratrooper, that was attached to the 82nd Airborne Pathinder team. He "knew" everything about jumping! He was excited about doing a night jump and wanted to know what he could do to help prepare for it.

The team discussed this and finally told him to get some "riser grease" to help the parachute open faster and some "canopy lights" to let us see the canopy at night, after deployment. So he was sent to battalion supply for these. Of course, he never got anything,except requesition forms, since they were "out of stock." He was directed to bring the forms to Division supply and see if they had them. Naturally, Division Supply was "back ordered" and directed to XVIIIth Airborne Corps HQ. The results were the same, as soon as the Supply Clerk gave me a call. He was then directed to Special Forces Headquarters Supply. They called me, then sent him back disappointed, since everyone was "backordered."

When he returned, the lieutenant finally told him that we'd have to do the night jump without them, the old fashioned way. He was terrified during the jump , but survived it. We never told him that there weren't any such things. I hope he eventually learned when he returned to his main unit. Laughing
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:10 pm
Well, what the heck. I've been sent out for fifty yard rolls of flight line, and uncounted buckets of prop wash. They finally gave up when they discovered that each such errand managed to occupy an entire day of what just might have been (gasp) work.

That was at The 245 Traveling Circus located at Finthen Funny Farm in the Federal Republic of Germany, by the way.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:26 pm
Roger,

Did they ever send you after military bearing?
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:28 pm
No, but they probably should have. It was conspicuous by its absence.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:31 pm
Roger that! :wink:
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:36 pm
I remember a crewchief for a huey telling a new door gunner to open the downdraft and he later told a new pilot to put the rotation in "auto".
It sure cracked us Pathfinders up. We nicknamed that crewchief "Crash".
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:46 pm
I was at Rucker twice, for training. From my impression of the Warrant Officer Candidates, he probably shut off the engine and went for it. I will not ask why they called him crash. It's kind of obvious.
0 Replies

Wiyaka

Reply Sun 23 May, 2004 11:49 pm
My Pathfinder class was the first class to train with student pilots. Came in handy in Vietnam, since we were familiar with them and they knew us, they trusted us.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/18/2024 at 07:38:39