RECIPE FOR A FRESH START

Misti26

Reply Mon 30 Dec, 2002 08:01 pm
Let today be the first day of the rest of your life!

Take twelve whole months.

Clean them thoroughly of all bitterness, hate, and jealousy.

Make them just as fresh and clean as possible.

Now cut each month into twenty-eight, thirty, or thirty-one different parts, but don't make the whole batch at once.

Prepare it one day at a time out of these ingredients.

Mix well into each day one part of faith, one part of patience, one part of courage, and one part of work.

Add to each day one part of hope, faithfulness, generosity, and meditation, and one good deed.

Season the whole with a dash of good spirits, a sprinkle of fun, a pinch of play, and a cupful of good humor.

Pour all of this into a vessel of love.

Cook thoroughly over radiant joy, garnish with a smile, and serve with quietness, unselfishness, and cheerfulness.

You're bound to have a great year!
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 749 • Replies: 6
No top replies

MellowGemini

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:12 am
Thanx Misti
I usually like to start my day by properly ending my night, Closing my eyes asking all inside and outside not to forget all around. Then proceed with serenly reqesting assitance with bringing forth each new day. Where I learn to love and respect myself,life, and other people. I could go on and on though, it would just reiterate your wording above only different narrator Very Happy Very Happy THANX MISTI LOL :wink:

Live Life Greatful In Order To Die Happy-Garcia, Dead, Dylan, Ken Kessey, Merry Pranksters. We Do not own our world we simply borrow it from our children.- Confucious
Wake Everyday to chase the sun and never settle for a mere wish upon a star-MellowGemini Very Happy
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 01:14 am
Way to go Misti, will try again this year. Every year is challenging but this one is big one for me as I start my new adventures.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 03:11 am
". . . will try again this year." Not a bad thought, Joanne.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 31 Dec, 2002 03:14 am
Gotta keep trying, one day I will get it somewhat right, one day maybe. But I have my Bean and Carlotta, and that is a good thing to look forward to every day.
0 Replies

babsatamelia

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:34 pm
Misti dear, you are a wonder with the written word, and I love that in a person. You express my sentiments exactly.
And that is amazing...each day IS a new beginning, each moment
COULD BE if we only allowed it to be that. I refuse to get stuck
in anger, disappointments, hatred or resentments -
WHO AM I HURTING OTHER THAN ME???
I know by this stage of my life that time is a limited thing, and I
do endeavor to look at my life, my days remaining here as a bag
of quarters...and each and every day I am SPENDING one of
those quarters. It is amazing that when you have fewer quarters
left, you respect each of them so much more than you used to.
The concept of "killing time" is abhorrent. I want to live as Thoreau - deliberately, sucking all the marrow out of life. His essay about life
on Walden Pond did forever change my life I think.... and at about
the same time that I read that, I also had found a book by a woman,
can't remember who right now, but it was about her going through
a divorce and living in a little cottage on the beach in New England
that she and her ex had gotten by paying the taxes on it. She
learned what plants are edible she learned to find the food in the
ocean, she learned to live independently of others completely - and enjoyed it as well. Between the 2 of those at the same time, I was
profoundly moved and my attitudes toward life were never to be
the same again. Your recipe sounds like the best one I have heard
yet THIS year, and thanks so much for putting it out there so
gracefully.
0 Replies

Misti26

Reply Sat 4 Jan, 2003 09:51 pm
`Awwww Babs, you are something else. I could read/listen to you forever.

I am always watching for beautifully written stories/quotes or sayings, they feed my soul with so much light, that it renews my spirit.

And remember Babs, each day consists of 24 precious hours, no matter how old we are. Just because we have lived longer than another doesn't mean we have fewer days left, it just means we are making the most of them by being alert to the life around us, and by appreciating each small moment.

Right now, i'm having a Kodak moment. I am writing to one of my favorite people, my house is quiet and peaceful, my kitty lays on my feet, and the world is a beautiful place.

One of my favorite books is about a half inch thick, sounds something lilke the one you mentioned. It's called "Lessons of the Heart" by Patricia H. Livingston, foreword by Henri Nouwen.

She speaks to me and touches my heart, especially as I read the following:

"We cannot always sense the power in the every day. Our lives dull us with their relentless demands ~ their repetition wearing us down. James Carroll speaks of this in THE WINTER NAME OF GOD. He describes how there are seasons in our lives when we grow cold and stark and bleak, and a winter comes upon us. After what always seems like a long time something happens. Something stirs and quickens. There is a freshening. He declares that 'freshness" is the winter name of God.

The freshness, the spiriting, comes through our dry bones and breathes life into them again."

I love this little book:)

When you remember the name of the book you mentioned, please let me know? I would love to read it.
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » RECIPE FOR A FRESH START
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 04/29/2024 at 07:15:31