'Last Night The Old Gringo Smiled'

jjorge

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:29 am
last evening while I was in my yard with my two dogs, I noticed three young neighborhood girls peering through a chain link fence at my next-door neighbors new dog 'Buddy'.
Buddy had begun to bark at the girls and one of them, about seven or eight years old, picked up a rock and threw it at him. I shouted from across my yard, 'Don't throw stones at him!' and the girls started to run away. I called again (in a more friendly tone) and approached them saying, 'He's really a friendly dog, he's just scared of you'.
The girls then stopped and returned and we had a conversation over the fence.

I told them how I had made friends with Buddy by being gentle with him and giving him a couple of dog biscuits.
I had a few biscuits in my house so I got them for the girls so they could give them to Buddy.

After a couple of minutes Buddy was literally
'eating out of their hands'. They also made friends with MY two dogs through the fence, and asked me numerous questions about them and about dogs in general. One of the girls mentioned that before I bought my house (I've been here since Jan. 15th) her mother had looked into buying it but 'It was too expensive'.

After they left and as I was turning to go into the house a neighborhood boy of about twelve approached me. He reminded me of a conversation we had had a few weeks ago -ie. he had asked me where he could get a dog for not too much money and I had mentioned the local animal shelter.

This young fellow, 'Jose', was of the impression that I had promised to give him the address and phone number of the shelter.
Whether I had or not, I was not going to put this kid off another time even though it was now getting dark.

So-o-o-o, I asked him to wait while I went inside and got the phone book, a flashlight and pen and paper. Then he held the light for me while I wrote down the information he needed to show his father.

I live in a very multi-ethnic urban neighborhood with LOTS of kids. What I've learned is that, unlike my previous suburban neighborhood, you can't ignore these kids and just mind your own business. They WILL be noticed, as I discovered a few weeks ago when my truck was severely 'keyed'.
My house is on a corner lot in the middle of the neighborhood. It sort of stands out as it has an unusually large and pretty yard, and me, the aging gringo, and my two dogs are very visible.

I've finally figured out that anonymity is not an option here. I can either be a part of the neighborhood or be a sort of alien presence. I choose the former.

Last night the old gringo smiled.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 5,492 • Replies: 99
No top replies

Setanta

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 09:36 am
Good for you, Boss . . . i would hope that these children will learn what good friends dogs can be . . . and old Gringos as well.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:29 am
jjorge--

I think a second career is reaching out to entangle you. Fate couldn't have picked a better man.

Hold your dominion.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 10:45 am
I predict that your choice will be richly rewarded in days and years to come.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 11:18 am
jjorge

You make me smile. People with time, kids and dogs, a happy combination. Well done!

Sam

An after thought: In this world, as it is now, your post is a refreshing and beautiful reminder of how it could and should be. Thank you.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Tue 11 May, 2004 12:57 pm
jjorge you are the best these kids are so lucky to have you. All will learn and your neighborhood will be the better for it. Being kind and gentle always works out for everyone, dogs included.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 08:05 pm
Sam said,
Quote:
An after thought: In this world, as it is now, your post is a refreshing and beautiful reminder of how it could and should be. Thank you.

I sooooo agree.

There are neighborhoods like yours that can become a loving, extended family. Looks like you are going to be one of the favorite uncles.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:06 pm
Hi, jjorge! I agree wholeheartedly with your plan. You may have the odd difficulty, but being part of the neighborhood is so much better. My neighborhood in Venice, CA was very mixed, had a relatively high crime rate historically, although in time it got to be quite the trendy place. A lot of time though, as in twenty years. I have not lived in such a congenial situation before or since, though the congeniality can be prickly and have misunderstandings .. I don't just mean between the new alien and the folks already there, but as a group... it's like an extensive family in a way, with the odd berserk cousin..
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 09:43 pm
Way to go, jjorge! I can safely predict you'll find your new neighborhood a very welcoming place.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 15 May, 2004 11:45 pm
I wish you well, jjorge. Sounds like an interesting place to live.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Sun 16 May, 2004 11:22 pm
Hi folks,

Nice to hear from some of my favorite A2k-ers.

Here's a little update:

Friday afternoon the same three girls were back, this time with their own dog biscuits, feeding Buddy and my two (Andrew and Mandy).
One of them said that her friend had saved her money to buy dog biscuits!
(I have emphasized that they should break them into small pieces so as to not fill the dogs up with 'dog candy')

Later about dusk, I was outside the fence looking back in at my handiwork when 'David' showed up and said Hi. He is about ten and is one of five or six children from the 'A' family. They live in a little Cape Cod style house, with a small yard just down the block.
I had met his two older sisters (about twelve and fifteen or sixteen) a couple of weeks ago. On that day I looked up from something I was doing and saw the two girls at the end of my drive-way.
'Hello mister', the older one said. 'You know, this used to be MY house.'
When they saw that I was friendly, they walked up the driveway and looked into the yard.
'I miss my house'. The older one continued...'and I miss the pear tree.'
she said pointing at a handsome fruit tree in the back of the yard.

Anyway, I learned that day that the girls' grandfather had built the house and at one time he had owned four or five houses on my block. Apparently the girls, their parents and siblings had lived with their grandfather in my house until about four or five years ago. Now they live in the much smaller Cape Cod house down the street and grandfather lives in a nearby town.

So, getting back to David, he said Hi and stood beside me gazing into the yard as I was. I thought he might be a member of the A family and he verified that he was. Then he blurted out in the way that children do,
'My father's looking for a job'. I didn't have an answer for that one so I asked
him if the pear tree in the yard gave good pears. he said 'Yes' and told me enthusiastically how he used to climb the tree to pick them.

(I had been thinking about the pear tree and how to share its bounty with kids in the neighborhood ever since I realized that it was a pear tree.
I have many childhood memories of swiping pears with my friends from my neighbor's tree)

So I told David that with his parents permission he and his siblings could pick a bunch of pears when they ripen ... because his family had 'a special connection' to my house.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 12:28 am
Pear fict...

oh, that was too corny,
as it really was perfect.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 07:43 am
ossobuco wrote:
Pear fict...

oh, that was too corny,
as it really was perfect.

Huh?
0 Replies

marycat

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:27 am
So glad you're developing a sense of community in your neighborhood. That is wonderful!
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:29 am
jjorge, I thought what you told David (see your last sentence) was perfect.
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 08:53 am
Hi Marycat, What's cookin'?

Twenty five years ago (before changing jobs and moving away) I had been very involved with the Hispanic community in particular...but that's a story for another day.

Hi Osso,

I really DO feel that that family, and those kids in particular have a connection to the house that needs to be respected. As for myself, I keep coming back to a feeling that I am really the steward of this house and this little patch of land.

ADDENDUM

After reading an article in today's paper about the demographics of Providence's public schools, I did a little more research.
I wonder if this fits with your perception of Providence Rhode Island?

* While latinos constitute 8.7% of the population of the state of RI.,
57% of them live in Providence where they account for 30% of the
of the city's population.

* In 2002 Providence public school enrollment was :

Asian: 8%
White: 15%
Black: 22%
Latino: 53%

* RI's Latino population has a median age of 23.6 years, compared to 39.4 for white Rhode Islanders

* Providence's population is 25% foreign born.

Sources:

Grow Smart Rhode island 21 May 2003
Rhode Island Foundation, 2002
Providence Journal 17 May, 2004
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 09:02 am
That's an eye-opener for me, jjorge. I always think of Providence as mostly a mixture of old Yankees and Italian-Americans with the more recently arrived minorities (Asians and Latinos) not too well represented. Shows how little one knows about a city that's no more than a stone's throw from my front door in Boston.
0 Replies

JoanneDorel

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 10:35 am
Same here MA of course in Tejas there are very few who will admit to being any kind of Yankee.

The story is great jjorge, keep us posted. I feel like I am part of the neighborhood almost.
0 Replies

Sam1951

Reply Mon 17 May, 2004 01:07 pm
jjorge,

Did you, in your younger days, like most young people, want to change the world? I think just about everyone thought that, especially when we knew all of the answers.
Now, you are doing it, helping to change the world, one bit at a time. When I read your posts, on this thread, I send you zen hugs and smiles.
Please continue to share this story as it grows. Like JoanneD, I too feel like I am part of the neighborhood.

I have lived in predominantly Hispanic areas. They were good friends and great neighbors, always ready to share a meal or give Tia Sam a ride to the store. In turn I played with the children while making sure they were safe and happy.

Sam
0 Replies

jjorge

Reply Tue 18 May, 2004 09:58 am
JoanneDorel wrote:
Same here MA of course in Tejas there are very few who will admit to being any kind of Yankee.

The story is great jjorge, keep us posted. I feel like I am part of the neighborhood almost.

Well Joanne, I guess that's to be expected in the 'Grit State of Texas'. :wink:

Seriously Joanne, I'm glad you like the story of my little neighborhood.
I really love it here. (see below)
0 Replies

1. Forums
  2. » 'Last Night The Old Gringo Smiled'
Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.02 seconds on 05/22/2024 at 12:30:03